Need help with Brewer recipe error

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCBrewer

Reaction score
Since my weekend would be filled with kids' soccer, I decided to brew Friday night after work. I was going for something like a mirror pond, which calls for about 14oz of Crystal 80 in 5 gallon batch. In my haste, I grabbed the Crystal 120. I noticed during run-off. I stepped up my bittering hops a bit to try and offset the higher Crystal but kept the rest of the hop schedule, which is all Cascade. Safale 04 is my yeast (no other choice Friday night).

To my question. The mirror pond recipe calls for a Cascade dry hop. I'm a little worried that adding more citrus, when combined with the boil hops and English yeast, will be too much sweetness (or perception of sweetness). Should I just forgo the dry hop? Or any other dry hop suggestions that might help bring this beer back into more of a balance?

Thanks for the advice.

I think you are overreacting. As long as they are the same amounts I don't think the difference between 80 and 120 is going to kill your beer.

I wouldn't consider the taste from a citrus-y hop sweet in the way that people refer to things as being sweet... like a real piece of fruit or candy bar. I'd still dry hop, but I love hoppy beers.

Definitely overreacting ;)

If you had mistaken black malt for the crystal, then yeah you would be way off base.. but crystal 120 for 80 is not that big of a deal..

The 120 has more of a burnt sugar character than caramel character, but really, it will be totally fine.. The 120 is not 'sweeter' than the 80, so it will not upset your balance..

Keep the dry-hop according to the recipe and let us know how it ends up tasting..

Latest posts

Back