Pitching at High Kraussen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrizBrew

Reaction score
Alright, I just brewed my first Lager. I am trying to pull off a Mai Bock/Helles Bock style. I guess after looking back over many resources, I have broken a lot of rules of lagers. I made no starter. I pitched only one pack of Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager. I pitched somewhat cold (54 degrees) and immediately went to the garage with it (as opposed to waiting til ferm started then moving to a colder area). Well, lesson learned on all of those points and I will do it differently next time...

But back to this time..........It has been 36 hours and I am seeing no activity in the carboy,which I realize is not a long time considering all the circumstances and that it is a lager. The temp dropped last night down to 42-44 which is probably not helping my cause.

After my research, I am considering pitching another smack pack of 2206 at high kraussen (assuming that it happens). Should I wait til high kraussen? Should I make a starter instead of just dumping another smack pack? Should I bring it inside if it doesn't start in a couple more days? Any advice would be helpful. * FYI: OG was 1.060ish*

I fully realize that it can take up to 72 hours to start a fermentation (so please don't point me to that thread). I am just wondering if I can still correct my mistakes at this point in the game. Or maybe I should just not worry about it and probably end up with a session beer... Lagers are sure a lot more work than ales. It better be worth it:mad:

My plan is to primary ferment for 2 weeks, transfer to secondary, let sit for a couple or 3 days at 68-70 and then stick it in my kegerator at 38 degrees for a month. Sound reasonable?

Thanks for any help

You should be fine if you pitch two more smack packs as lagers take more yeast than ales. Even if you do see fermentation start I would still pitch more yeast as you definitely under pitched the first time.

You should be fine if you pitch two more smack packs as lagers take more yeast than ales. Even if you do see fermentation start I would still pitch more yeast as you definitely under pitched the first time.

My LHBS often will only carry one pack at a time of lesser selling yeasts. I bought the last pack of 2206 on Saturday, don't know if they restocked and even if they did they probably only have one pack. How will it affect flavor if I grab a Munich or Bohemian or both to add to it?

Can I just smack, let it sit overnight and pitch as is or do I need an actual starter?

Thanks for the reply!

And then to make matters worse.....I found one pack of 2206 and grabbed a pack of California Common, the only other lager yeast in the house. Then I find out California common ferments at 58-68 degrees instead of 2206 at 48-58....I don't know if I should use it or not.

After obsessing all day over it, I came home shook the the Hell out of it and pitched another pack of 2206. I tossed the Cali Common back in the fridge for a future brew day and poured a big pint of my cherry vanilla porter. RDWHAHB! Maybe she'll crank up tonight!

Hallelujah!!!
9da2e990.jpg

Good to see some action. With the under pitched yeast don't be surprised if you do not fully attenuate. I made the same mistake as I pitched two vials when I should have pitched about 4 and I had a stuck fermentation. The beer was a little sweet but still okay over all. If you do get a stuck fermentation then you can pitch a high alcohol tolerant yeast as this will not affect the flavor profile once the primary fermentation is complete. Good luck!

Good to see some action. With the under pitched yeast don't be surprised if you do not fully attenuate. I made the same mistake as I pitched two vials when I should have pitched about 4 and I had a stuck fermentation. The beer was a little sweet but still okay over all. If you do get a stuck fermentation then you can pitch a high alcohol tolerant yeast as this will not affect the flavor profile once the primary fermentation is complete. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I hope it keeps riding through. The temps here in Montana really vary this time of year. Fermenting in an uninsulated garage is a little tricky. I wanted to try it now while it still chilly during the day but isn't dropping below freezing at night (usually, night before last was 27...) It seemed like the right time. It is supposed to be pretty cool for the rest of the week, until the weekend when it comes back up in the 60s. We'll see how it all works out.:tank:

I tapped my Maibock last night. It is absolutely FANTASTIC!! Maybe my best to date. Thanks for weighing in all.

Prost!! :tank:

Back