Adding Sugar for bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gderem

Reaction score
I'm drinking a current batch of a mild London Ale. Was only my second batch. I've had about 10 bottles that were fantastic, perfectly carbonated, etc. I've had about 4 that were WAY over-carbonated, so I'm thinking somehow the sugar might not have gotten distributed well enough?

I took 5/8 cup priming sugar, dissolved into 1/2 cup boiling water, and poured into the carboy with a sanitized funnel. Then when I put in the racking cane tried to stir it. I tried not to stir too aggressively to stir up the sediment.

Maybe I'm answering my own question here, do I need to transfer to another carboy or bucket for bottling, and add sugar when 1/2 full?

You already knew the answer. Siphon into a bottling bucket. You don't have to wait until it is half full. Pour it in after you start siphoning and it will mix itself as if fills.

Put your sterilized and cooled sugar solution in a seperate container- say a bottling bucket w/ spigot and rack your brew quietly onto the solution. The swirling action of the racking will provide sufficient mixing. I've done this for EVERY batch I've ever bottled and it's my standard procedure, and always had the results I want.:rockin:

Back