BeerSmith 2 Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bwood1377

Reaction score
Tried posting this in the general beer discussion but got no responses so I'll try here. Just wanted to get opinions on my equipment profile in BeerSmith. I have a 15 Gallon MegaPot and I am currently doing 5 gallon batches. I think I have it setup correctly but just wanted to make sure. I am currently doing extract batches but will be moving to partial mash very shortly. Thanks. :)

BeerSmithProfile.jpg

Looks good, your evaporation rate might be too high though I think. I've never seen anyone use higher than 18%. Where did that number come from? With that size pot, might be closer to 12%. If you leave it at 28% you'll end up with a lot more volume after your done boiling than you should.

I'd recommend setting boil off as a rate per hour not percent (which is actually the way you have it I think). It should be a fixed value depending on the pot surface area, humidity, flame, etc - not a function of how much overall volume is in the pot. Two gallon per hour for that pot seems a little high but maybe not. I boil off about 1.6 gal per hr in my 20gal pot but I know the megapots are kind of wide. Have you tested it?

Looks good, your evaporation rate might be too high though I think. I've never seen anyone use higher than 18%. Where did that number come from? With that size pot, might be closer to 12%. If you leave it at 28% you'll end up with a lot more volume after your done boiling than you should.

Well I know that the first time I brewed I had about 6 gallons preboil and after everything was done I ended up with about 4 gallons, so the next time I upped it to 6.5 gallons and ended up with 4.5 so with that in mind I figured for the next time I would need about 7 gallons to end up with 5 in the fermenter. Maybe I'm misunderstanding whats its asking for but this is how I came up with that. Thanks.

I'd recommend setting boil off as a rate per hour not percent (which is actually the way you have it I think). It should be a fixed value depending on the pot surface area, humidity, flame, etc - not a function of how much overall volume is in the pot. Two gallon per hour for that pot seems a little high but maybe not. I boil off about 1.6 gal per hr in my 20gal pot but I know the megapots are kind of wide. Have you tested it?

I have actually tested it but maybe I misunderstood what it was actually asking for because I figured out that I would need about 7 gallons in my pot to have 5 gallons going into my fermenter.

Back