Camlocks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yax75

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone on here has used Camlock fittings for their brew set-up? If so how are they for sanitation? I am looking to replace my poly qd's with either camlocks or Tri-clamps.

Thanks

Dave

Cool, thanks for the info. They seem like a less expensive alternative to the tri-clamps also.

I love the camlocks. I sanitize mine by contact with the boiling wort. But... they are very simple and there are no really hidden surfaces or small parts where dirt can hide so I'd say they should be easy to clean and sanitize by most methods.

I'd say a good percentage of brewers have camlocks now and I honestly haven't ever heard any legit complaints. There are some batches apparently where a given male/female pair will be hard to close initially due to I suppose an over-spec gasket thickness or something like that. Other than that, it's hard to beat the value when compared to other disconnect types.

I was wondering what type of gaskets are used in these type of fittings, probably buna I would imagine.

Bobby_M said:
I'd say a good percentage of brewers have camlocks now and I honestly haven't ever heard any legit complaints. There are some batches apparently where a given male/female pair will be hard to close initially due to I suppose an over-spec gasket thickness or something like that. Other than that, it's hard to beat the value when compared to other disconnect types.

Yup, as I finally got a pump I just placed an order from your site. You have great prices and you elbow barb, big C and us based silicone tubing were the icing on the cake!

I was wondering what type of gaskets are used in these type of fittings, probably buna I would imagine.

yeah I think the stock ones are buna. I'm pretty sure bargain fittings throws in a free silicone o ring when you purchase any camlock

They also make AL cam locks for half the price of the SS version. Make sure you have high temp silicon gaskets.

And polypropelene for 1/4 the SS price. I've been happy with the poly for over a year now and like them more than SS for hot swaps as they are nearly cool to the touch even with boiling wort flowing though them. I did get a few SS for the boil kettle so I don't have to worry about the heat, but haven't installed them yet as my little heat shields have worked up to this point. I almost went Al until I started using some acid and caustic cleaners which would have torn the Al up, but won't bother the poly or ss.

Just another plus for Camlocks. Took the plunge on camlocks for all my fittings. They're pricey here in teh UK too, but I went for stainless. I understimated ow many I was going to need, but they have made brew days so much easier, and after the brew day I just throw my silicone hose + camlock ends in the boil kettle with some cleaner to celan up.

Back