Lower FG Than Expected, Any Problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrenaline-Junkie

Reaction score
So, this isnt a question i think ive run across yet. Just finished a kit in primary and FG ended up being lower than the projected FG that is stated with the kit. Are there any downsides to ending with a lower FG (i dont think a higher abv is a bad thing, is it lol)? Fermentation went perfect, finished off quicker than expected, didnt get any infections and the beer tasted good. Just making sure im not missing something here. lol

Depends on how much of a difference you had. What was your OG, expected FG and actual FG. Did you notice any flavor issues or does it taste fine? If it tastes fine than you just have more alcohol, enjoy it. What it really means is you get to drink less to get more loaded... congrats you saved some calories. Have some nachos and don't work out for 2-days.

OG was 1.054, expected FG was 1.014 and actual FG sat at about 1.010

It tasted good to me and i dint want to transfer early. Fermentation started quick and finished out pretty quick. To be honest i thought i was going to have a higher FG than i wanted which is what surprised me most. Wasnt sure if there was a common variance people saw when they brewed.

Oh, that's nothing. .004 difference is AOK. I've missed by as much as .010, it was still beer. Let me also be sure, you just transferred to secondary? You may drop a smidge after secondary. Also, what's your temp? You may have to correct for temp if it's high or low on your hydrometer reading. But basically a .004 difference is nothing to worry about as long as it tastes fine. Unless you're entering a contest or trying to impress Chuck Papazian you're AOK.

Ok, thanks. Yes, i just transferred to a secondary. My temp has been right around 70*F. Im not entering a contest or trying to impress anyone so i think im good. lol

Ya, at 70deg you're hydro reading is temp sound. Did you spin the hydro to get the bubbles off? Also did you read the hydro from the side allowing for a meniscus? Regardless a .004 is nothing to worry about. Drink it up!

Yep, i took everything into consideration that i could think of so i was just double checking by asking here. Thanks for the reassurance, is appreciated. I will most certainly be drinking up!

Back