AC Unit thermo bypass help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwtalley

Reaction score
OK
Yes I know that using a manual control AC unit would make it easier to bypass the thermo and hook up the Johnson controller for my cold room.
However....I did not get a manual...yes it is electronic. Yes I am not so bright.
However I do know that there is a way to bypass the thermo on the AC unit so the Johnson controller takes over for it.
Soooooo???? Any help out there? I would absolutely appreciate any help you can give me. Cold room is ready to go once I get passed this issue. Anyone who can help is welcome to come over for beer!!! Please help!!

have you checked john beere's thread on the walk in cooler? he used an a/c unit and rigged it to a controler... if you look on the 6th page of his thread he explains a bit how he did it: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-latest-project-walk-cooler-11440/

i just finished building my third brew cabinet.. last one was when i lived in apartment, which i destroyed when i left the place.... now i have a nice size unit in the garage, and i'm planning to rewire the a/c unit to a controler as well to acheive colder temps... so let me know how this goes.. i'm interested to know.

Thanks.

Well after a beer or two last night I decided to try and do a Jedi Mind hump on the AC unit and make it think that it was doing something it wasnt. Took the thermocouple off and measured the resistance at different temps. Went to the Shack and bought a resistor that matched the resistance at approximately 78 to 80 degrees and wired that on to the thermocouple. Now the AC unit thinks it is always 78 and keeps running virtually bypassing the thermo unit on the AC and now will be controlled by the Johnson controller. Best 3 bucks ever spent. I am sure there are other ways but dang that was easy.

humm.. that's an interesting way to do it... so you're technicaly not bypassing the factory thermostat, but you're making it think the temperature is always cold so it keeps the compressor always on... i like it..

Latest posts

Back