Newb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svengoat

Reaction score
I made the grape mead and it's the second day after pitch... I can see alot of little bubbles but the airlock doesn't seem to be aggressive at all..There is alittle leak around it as I can smell it.. Do I need a repitch?? Doesn't seem to have any head at all, nothing like it's big brother apelwein ... Is it the honey that doesn't seem to ferment hard?? And one more question.. How long till I rack?

If there's a leak - the airlock isn't going to be aggressive. Think about fixing that problem. But there's not gonna be this big uber-krausen.

What yeast did you use? Real yeast or bread yeast?

If it's going, give it ~1 month before racking, then any time you get more than 1/4" of lees sludge on the bottom.

Leave it alone and let it do its thing. Mead ferments slow and steady for a couple months and the more you mess with it the greater the chance you'll mess it up.

+1 on Nurmey comment. DO NOT TELL MY FRIENDS THIS BUTTTTT: if you want to make good beer leave it alone and it will all be cool:D

p.s. You are brewing

A Newb is like a "wanna be" who is "trying" with a Mr. Beer kit. You have a question and are asking for input from your peers NOT superiors.

do not demean yourself!

-Joe B

Dammmmmmm I drukn

Here is a pic, notice no head at all, nothing compared to it's big brother:ban:

P5222172.jpg

Sorry the apelwein is literally bubbling it's butt off(out of the airlock).. No such action from the mead but I can see alot of little bubbles rising so I guess I'm good..

Back