Bottling a Oud Bruin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zionRDbrewing

Reaction score
I have an Oud Bruin that is ready to be bottled. Is the process any different then bottling an ale( I batch prime with corn sugar)?

Seems like a lot of people tend to re-yeast them. If you re-yeast it, it will carb up a little faster than if you don't. Some will re-yeast with a wine or champagne yeast because they're more acid tolerant. With my Flanders Red I found I needed to add a little more sugar than the priming calculators indicated in order to get the carbonation level I wanted. I believe this is because some of the sugar is consumed by non-CO2 producing bugs.

With my Flanders Red I found I needed to add a little more sugar than the priming calculators indicated in order to get the carbonation level I wanted. I believe this is because some of the sugar is consumed by non-CO2 producing bugs.

I'm not sure this is the case. I think what happens is that the beer sits in the fermentor for so long that a lot of the residual CO2 comes out of solution. This would be true of any style, wild or not. If you made a barleywine and let it sit in the fermentor for a year much of the CO2 with come out of solution. What you can do is add a little boiled sugar water to the fermentor 3-7 days before bottling. The yeast will eat this sugar and put more CO2 into solution. Wait until all the sugar has been consumed and then bottle. That way the priming sugar calculation will be the same as if you had brewed an ale that sat in the fermentor for a few weeks.

slarkin712 said:
I'm not sure this is the case. I think what happens is that the beer sits in the fermentor for so long that a lot of the residual CO2 comes out of solution. This would be true of any style, wild or not. If you made a barleywine and let it sit in the fermentor for a year much of the CO2 with come out of solution. What you can do is add a little boiled sugar water to the fermentor 3-7 days before bottling. The yeast will eat this sugar and put more CO2 into solution. Wait until all the sugar has been consumed and then bottle. That way the priming sugar calculation will be the same as if you had brewed an ale that sat in the fermentor for a few weeks.

Good point, it probably is more of an issue of lack of CO2 in solution than bugs stealing the sugar. However, I don't see the point of dosing it with sugar twice (pre-priming and priming) rather than just increasing your priming sugar. Have you tried it both ways? Maybe it's more consistent dosing it twice?

Good point, it probably is more of an issue of lack of CO2 in solution than bugs stealing the sugar. However, I don't see the point of dosing it with sugar twice (pre-priming and priming) rather than just increasing your priming sugar. Have you tried it both ways? Maybe it's more consistent dosing it twice?

The thought is that it is just more consistent dosing twice. If you didn't do a first dose you wouldn't know with much accuracy how much CO2 is left in solution. After the first dosing ferments out you would know that, at whatever temp, you should have a certain amount of CO2 in solution. Then your priming sugar calculation is more reliable.

Back