Partigyle Porter/Brown Ale for critique/help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyurboy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am brewing for the 3rd time in 4 weeks (yay, me!) next Saturday and wanted to try a partigyle so I'd have plenty on hand for Christmas time. I decided to vary and scale up a porter recipe I made (and have brewed 2 times successfully) with the addition of maple syrup and follow that with a brown ale with honey. Please help me refine this so I can lay in the supplies. Hoping to collect ~5.5 gallons for each fermenter.

Main Mash:
19.0 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
1.5 lb 2-Row Chocolate Malt
1.0 lb 2-Row Caramel Malt 60L
1.0 lb Victory® Malt

Mash at 152 for 1 hour (1.33 qt/gal)
Add another 6.5 gallons water (temp around 160 if its going to sit for about 20 mins while I get the other boiling and such...?)

Porter:
Add 1 oz Perle (8.2) pellet FWH
Boil 60 Mins
.5 oz EKG @ 15 mins
.5 oz EKG @ flameout
1 LB Maple Syrup @ flameout
Haven't decided on yeast yet...any suggestions?

Brown:
Add 1 oz Willamette FWH
Add 1 oz Vanguard Whole @ 10 min
Add 1 LB honey @ flameout
Again, no yeast decision but probably will use 1098 British Ale

Any suggestions and critiques are much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

- Jon

I did read the linked thread...lots of good info there, and it was in part what got me all worked up to try this thing. If it works out, I am probably going to have a lot of these brews...and a second burner and brew kettle, in my future. :)

All I know is in mah thread (that was sort of the extent of my mathematic acumen):D.....

just don't forget that mine was for 2, 2.5 gallon batches.

You did catch Joe Camels way of making brewsmith do the math didn't you?

Good Luck.

So I brewed this thing today, with the only modification being 20lbs of 2-row rather than 19, and mashing at 154, and wanted to post results and lessons learned.

Results were good, I think. I put 5.75 gallons of the porter into the fermenter at 1.086. 4.75G of the brown at 1.048.

1. If you can, collect both beers before boiling/hopping either of them. That would make it easier to balance out the high and low gravity beers so that you can ensure that you don't over or undershoot your OG later on. I really did not expect a 1.086 OG for the porter. I was shooting for 1.073-ish. Might have helped me get a full 5.5G for the brown in the fermenter if I had waited to boil the porter so I could steal some from the first runnings for the brown and water the porter down a bit.

2. Get/Borrow a second kettle and burner, or prepare for an extra 1.5 hours in your brew day.

3. Pitching the wort onto a yeast cake rocks. The porter was bubbling rapidly within 1 hour of hitting the fermenter which had a cake of WLP001 in it.

BTW, is there a formula for determining your if your OG will be in a particular range based upon your pre-boil gravity...assuming you, unlike me, have a decent idea of your evaporation loss?

Sorry for reviving this ancient thread...

I fell out of brewing for quite a while, but coming back now. I was thinking about brewing this again, and checked in to see if my recipe was still here. I saw the requests for updates that I never gave...so this zombie thread is being revived just briefly for this update. This brew was fantastic. The brown ale was good, not great, easy drinking beer. The porter collected from the first runnings was fermented on the yeast cake from a pale ale (a very mildly hopped one) and nearly exploded in the first couple of days. After fermentation (1 week primary, 3 weeks secondary if I recall correctly), it needed a long rest in the keg (think 3 months or more) but went from being pretty terrible at first (burning alcohol taste, a punishment for impatience) to being just brilliant. A friend I pulled a few bottles for forgot one in his fridge for about a year. When he rediscovered it, he said it was the best he'd ever had. I have no hard numbers on the SG, OG or FG...sorry about that.

Back