Can I Mix yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthmonkey

Reaction score
I am going to attempt to make a combination of a milk stout and a oatmeal stout. I was considering adding 2 different kinds of wyeast to get the best of both yeast? I want to mix 1332 northwest and 1945 neobritannia. What is everyone's opinion?

From what I have read one yeast will dominate the other, so you may not get the best of both yeast, I could be wrong though.

I use 2 different yeast strains on occasion but not for the results your looking for. I'll use a British strain and the add a high gravity strain latter in the ferment, to get the flavor I'm looking for and the abv.

For what your proposing I haven't tried it but if I where to guess one is going to take over pretty fast. I would try to figure out the stronger strain and add that a couple of days after the the weaker strain is introduced. I Really don't know but that's what I would try.

Some yeast packs from WL and WY are mix packs (wlp060 and wlp080 for example). I have never experimented with this but it might do something.

I use a mix of Scottish and Nottingham yeasts in a few beers. Seems to leave it a bit under attenuated like the Scottish but a little fruity like the notty. Works well in my sweeter porters/stouts. Long story short you can mix them but you could get the worst of each or something quite different from what you expect but it's fun to experiment.

Latest posts

Back