8 Beers Short

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logzor

Reaction score
So I bottled today. The wort fermented in primary for exactly 3 weeks.

This was my first brew, so I failed to account for evaporation.

Will this cause any major problems?

The FG was a bit high, at 1.019 or so, it should have read 1.013. Given how much less liquid there was, I'm not surprised.

I tasted a sample, it had excellent flavor, you could definitely taste the alcohol...

The brew is a Fat Tire Ale clone, color looked dead on.

No worries - it'll mellow with 3 weeks in the bottle. If the taste and color look good, it'll be good. Extract beers can stop around 1.02 so no worries there either.

Cheers!

Thanks for the confidence boost, I figured this was the case.

Next time I'm going to make markers on the outside of the carboy so I know exactly how much water to add. I drained the carboy pretty well, tipping it sideways during the siphon, being sure not to let it suck of sediment, yet retrieve all the clear liquid, I doubt that was 8 bottles worth left sitting in there...maybe four?

Anyways, I must say that bottling that first beer was an amazing feeling. Can't wait to crack the first one open.

Definitely mark your carboys and buckets so you know exactly how much wort you have. Did you hit your OG? Use irish moss or whirfloc in you boil and your trub will settle out real good and you will be able to siphon off all but maybe half an inch the bottom of your carboy which isnt even one beer. If you dry hopped that can suck up some of your beer as well but being 8 beers short you must not have had a full 5 gallons to start.

Anyway its sounds like you got beer so congratulations on your first brew!

"Beer is like sex, the worst I ever had was pretty good!"

Latest posts

Back