• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1500w Heat Stick for sale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thundercougarfalconbird

Reaction score
I got a 1500w heat stick I built a few months ago. I retired it since getting my brutus. But since it worked great I figured I'd try and pass it on instead of letting it sit.
It has around 10 brews on it. I've sealed everything off with JB weld. It hasn't ever given me any problems. Just be sure to use GFCI, not submerge it past the metal part (it is water tight, just don't want pvc in boiling water), and dont run it dry.
I really want AHS new precision hydrometers so I'd like to get $30 for it shipped, but will consider offers.

heatstick.jpg

How much faster would you estimate this would help a turkey fryer setup get to a boil?
I read up on the heat sticks awhile back but can't recall what the added btu's these are equivalent to.

I call first dibs!

I think there are several variables including the size of your flame, wind, ect. But with this and a 1450w heating element I was getting a SUPER aggressive boil (1.5gallon boiloff per hour) for 5 gallon batches
So I would estimate from mash temps to boil temps you're looking at less than half an hour. Definitely much faster, just be sure you can submerge the element before powering it on.

Okay I checked out switching my garage outlet to GFCI and its simple.

Two quick questions I have before purchasing are:

1) How secure is the cord coming out of the (pvc?) and is that duct tape around the cord?

I just want to know if I accidentally drop a little water on the cord of the heat stick I won't get fried!

2) How did you keep that hanging on the side of your kettle?

Thanks!

They sell portable GFCI's that are compatible with this heatstick at homedepot for like $15.
It is duct tape, But I have also silicone gel'ed the hole around the wire. (Maybe I JBwelded it too, I don't wanna pull the tape off) It is just a second layer of protection. I tried to make it so water-tight it ain't the prettiest thing.

My kettle was shallow enough that I was able to just let it rest on the bottom. There are many ways to hang this on a kettle, I can explain a few ideas I had if you'd like them. (I think it's pretty simple)

1: Buy a pvc cap that will fit on the handle, (1.5"? not sure I can measure) drill a hole in the cap big enough for the cord to fit through. Find a metal hanger in one form or another that will grip the kettle in a way you find appropriate, attach it to the PVC cap, slide the pvc cap on, reattach plug.
2:pVC elbow at a tight enough angle to hang on its own
3:Big Wireclamp on the handle, hanger tightened on

I understand the reasoning behind the "no thread crapping" rule in the classifieds but I just have to say, a DIY heatstick really isn't something I think you want to sell. It's one thing if someone makes one and electrocutes themselves but another to be the guy that built and sold it. That's all I'll say about it and you go ahead and use your own discretion.

Na, I can understand your hesitation on something like this.
IT IS DANGEROUS, basically a lightsaber.
But I have outlined proper safety techniques in our PMs as well as a disclaimer that I am not responsible for any damages that could occur.

The unit is secure to the best of my ability. It has functioned flawlessly for me, I feel it would be an asset for someone who needs it, they must simply understand the nature of DIY stuff.

bja said:
Let us know how well that holds up in court.
Well, that took a turn to 'not making any sense at all' quickly...

Even without a disclaimer, buying a homemade lawnmower , advertised as such, that disintegrated and chopped off your foot wouldn't win you a lawsuit...

Well, that took a turn to 'not making any sense at all' quickly...

Even without a disclaimer, buying a homemade lawnmower , advertised as such, that disintegrated and chopped off your foot wouldn't win you a lawsuit...

Where have you been the last 20 years?

Back