when to rack to 2nd fermintation carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
it a ipa,just added second pack of yeast..should i wait till theres no more action or what,first time doing a ipa,,sg was 1.100 terminal is 1.019-1.031

its getting dry hopped also:confused:

thanks

yeah wait untill the gravity has remained the same for a few days then rack and wait til the last 7-10 days to dry hop

I disagree. The modern thought is to add the dry hops after the initial ferment is finished (75% or so). No secondary at all. That way the yeast is active and can move the hops around.

Adding hops to an active fermentation will "wash" away some of the delicate hop oils for aroma. And leaving hops too long may result in vegetal flavors i.e. grassy and earthy. but michael is right there really isnt much need for a secondary with an ipa unless you added fruit. leave it on the yeast to consume any off flavors

Personally I like to add the dry hops when the airlock slows down to bubbling around only once a minute

Back