strong rotten egg smell in starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glorifiedbusdriver

Reaction score
I made a .6 gallon starter with WLP833 German Bock Lager Yeast about a week ago. A few days ago I put it in the fridge. Today I pulled it out of the fridge, poured most of the beer off the top so I could step it up. After I poured the liquid off, I let it rise to room temp for about 3-4 hours then added another .6 gallon of wort.
About 6 hours after I stepped it up, there is a very strong rotten egg smell coming from the starter. I have read that Sulfur can be a bacterial infection...but it is also a byproduct of lager yeast strains. I have brewed three lagers in the past with great success, but I made the starters at 50 degrees. This starter is at room temp.
My question is this: Is WLP833 a big sulfur producer (especially at room temp) or should I just throw this thing away? The smell is very pronounced. Thanks for any advice.

Charlie

the starter is fine. lager yeast are known for that smell. called "rino farts". i had a similar concern a few days ago with a batch of fermenting mead. the consensus is, its normal.

Sulfides... I would dump it in favor of a better yeast if it's only just a small starter. I wouldn't even take a chance of my beer smelling like that.

do not dump it its fine. Your beer will not end up sulfury. That is just different yeasts. The smell will quickly fade after fermentation.

Back