Finding rigid foam in Nor Calif

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stile

Reaction score
Anybody have any luck in finding either the Blue or Pink ridgid foam boards for making the fermentation chiller in Northern Calif? I've found the white foam at both Home depot and Lowes, but no luck on the ridgid stuff. I did see a ridgid style that has a shiney silver paper coating on both sides. So if i can't find my first option, i may have to go with that.

If it is a rigid (stiff) foam insulation (board), then color does not matter, nor whether it has "shiny, silver" paper.

The most important value for insulation of any type, is the "R" value.

I completely agree on the R value being the most important part but i'm just not too sure if the "shiney silver" surface will lend itself to being glued. The ridgid blue and pink foam has a porious surface... perfect for glue.

Extruded urethane clad with aluminum will work just fine. Just use a razor-blade to cut the foil where you want to glue the boards and peal it off. I wouldn't use the white styrene board, as it is fragile and sheds.

Back