Using Jalapeno tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naristov

Reaction score
I'm going to be making a Jalapeno beer soon. I guess I'm looking for tips to using them.

Its 2.5 gallon batch. I was thinking 2.5 Peppers at flame out and maybe 1 during fermentation.

I was going to freeze them the night before and then bake them for 15 mins. I heard the freezieing helps break the skin for more flavor. For the one going in the carboy I was going to soak in vodka and throw it in after 2 weeks.

Jalapenos and other chiles can really get away from you quickly. I'd avoid putting them in at flameout, and then dry-hop with them. Once you start dry-hopping, I'd taste it every other day. You can ALWAYS add more heat, but you can never take it away.

If I were to do this (and I never would) I'd split the peppers, strip the guts out, and dice them up a bit and add them as a dry hop.

This gets as much flavor in there without as much heat.

I've had a chili stout and it was almost undrinkable to me. Not the heat though. The flavor of jalepenos with the sweet stout. I've had a pepper porter that was close to being too hot for me to drink too.

The best was a wasabi kolsch. It was made to drink with stuff like sushi. The wasabi flavor and heat were very mild and actually went well with the beer.

There are plenty of ways to get chile pepper flavor into a brew, so I'll just let you know what I did for my Hot Blonde Ale:

I cut my peppers (jalapenos) in half lengthwise and then into roughly 3/4" slices to expose plenty of surface area, then soaked them in vodka. I left the seeds and membranes intact, as this is where a lot of the heat lives. I used "regular" 80-proof vodka, but presumably a higher-proof would be a more effective solvent if you wanted to spend the $$$- I just used what I had in the house and it worked well enough, maybe just took longer to get the full extraction than it would with a higher proof. I did 2 or 3 jalapenos in about a pint of vodka and let them soak for about 10 days, then poured it through a coffee filter to strain out the peppers and seeds, leaving just the infused vodka.

As far as getting it into the beer, I added the infusion at bottling time- you've already extracted the flavor with the vodka, so you really aren't gaining anything by adding it earlier. I filled a glass with 12 oz of beer (one bottle's worth) and added the infusion with an eyedropper a little at a time, tasting between additions to see how much would give me the flavor and heat I was looking for. I wound up using about 20mL/bottle, so you can add it by the dropperful- no need to go drop-by-drop unless you're using some really insanely hot peppers. This method worked well and gave me excellent flavor and good heat. One warning though- the flavor remained stable, but the heat diminished a bit in the bottle, so you might want to make it a bit hotter than you think you're going to want it if you use this method.

However, you choose to "pepper" your beer, I hope it turns out great! Enjoy!

Ive brewed a honey jalapeño wheat twice that has turned out really good. I split the peppers in half, soak in vodka for a week or two, then add peppers only (no vodka) to carboy 7 days before bottling. Good jalapeño flavor with a mild heat. I think I used 7-10 medium size peppers for 5 gal batch.

Back