A few weeks in ferment....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homeslice

Reaction score
So I made a dubbel wort with a 1.080 OG on Nov 21st. I made the mistake of fermenting it in the plastic bucket with out the spout so I can't check the gravity without breaking the seal. DOH! Well, the batch had some good activity coming from the airlock for a few days then ceased. I kept it in the corner of my bedroom which ranged from 66-74 degrees for the first week then stashed it in my closet to keep it at a more stable temp 68-70. It's still smelling like sweet yeast. How and when should I go about checking the gravity?

Use a well sanitized turkey baster to sample from the top. Just crack the lid and take a little out to put in your hydrometer test jar.

i never ferment in the bucket with the spigot. i own one bucket with a spigot (bottling bucket) and 8 buckets without spigots for primaries. its ok to break the seal, just dont spit or sneeze in it. try and keep dust out of it when you pull off the lid. i always let them sit for 2 weeks before i even check gravity. it doesnt hurt it at all to let it sit a while longer. if you are really anxious, sanitize a plastic cup or a glass beer mug with a handle on it and dip it in there and use the hydrometer to see where you are at. if you can stand it, leave it sealed for at least 2 weeks. the longer the beer sits on the yeast (up to about 4 weeks), the more clear the beer will become... dont judge the progress of fermentation by the bubbles in the airlock. it can keep fermenting long after the bubbles in the airlock are gone..

i never ferment in the bucket with the spigot. i own one bucket with a spigot (bottling bucket) and 8 buckets without spigots for primaries. its ok to break the seal, just dont spit or sneeze in it. try and keep dust out of it when you pull off the lid. i always let them sit for 2 weeks before i even check gravity. it doesnt hurt it at all to let it sit a while longer. if you are really anxious, sanitize a plastic cup or a glass beer mug with a handle on it and dip it in there and use the hydrometer to see where you are at. if you can stand it, leave it sealed for at least 2 weeks. the longer the beer sits on the yeast (up to about 4 weeks), the more clear the beer will become... dont judge the progress of fermentation by the bubbles in the airlock. it can keep fermenting long after the bubbles in the airlock are gone..

I'll wait it out. I've looked at other threads that discuss complications with weak yeast so I'm more curious about how well it's fermenting and better understanding gravity readings.

Back