How big an aquarium pump for HERMS mixing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBenn

Reaction score
Several threads here mention using an aquarium pump to effectively mix the HLT water in a HERMS setup. (to decrease temp variation and increase heat transfer).

So, the big question is "how big of a pump"? I'm seeing pumps like the whisper 10 (10 gallons), whisper 20 (20 gallons), etc. Anyone with any HERMS experience with these?

rich

RichBenn said:
Several threads here mention using an aquarium pump to effectively mix the HLT water in a HERMS setup. (to decrease temp variation and increase heat transfer).

So, the big question is "how big of a pump"? I'm seeing pumps like the whisper 10 (10 gallons), whisper 20 (20 gallons), etc. Anyone with any HERMS experience with these?

rich

Should I try a different forum?

Anyone with experience here? I'm also curious how they hold up to heat. I'm not a big fan of plastics leaching into my brewing water.

The aquarium pump they are using is an air pump that just pumps bubbles. There should be no plastic to contaminate, you would use a food grade silicone hose to the bottom of the Hlt. They make different sizes. I would just get a medium size one with 2 tubes, then use a t to run both tubes into one silicone one.

Back