Damn Thieves!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadrupled

Reaction score
I just finished working and went to my desk to shutdown my computer, grab my phone, bag, travel mug, etc. and head out. A few cords were pulled from my computer and at first I couldn't figure out what happened. Then I see my phone and other stuff is missing. Video evidence showed the SOBs sneak onto our floor and make off with my bag and various other stuff!:mad:

The good news - my phone couldn't hold a charge while using it (only around 5 minutes at best which is why it was plugged in at my desk instead of my pocket), so I was planning on getting a new phone anyway.

The bad news - amongst other sentimental things, every one of my favorite HBT recipes was saved on that stupid little device! Now I can't even remember all of the delicious recipes that I no longer have saved.....:mad:

Argh!

If you have no security I wouldn't leave anything unattended for a minute.

10:1 the cleaning crew mapped out who has what for the raiders.

Man, that sucks. I am sorry.

Moral of the story: always have at least two copies of everything, preferably, in different physical locations. Not that such advice helps you now.

You got jacked at work? Geez..talk about an inside job.

I work at a large university, and laptops disappear at an alarming rate. I lock my door if I'm going to be out of sight for 5 seconds. I've caught anonymous strangers checking door knobs after 5pm.

Where there's opportunity, there will be criminals. Or, locks are to keep honest people out.

OP, I'm sorry for your loss!

Where there's opportunity, there will be criminals. Or, locks are to keep honest people out.
This is why I don't lock stuff If they are honest you don't have an issue and if they are not you will have a broken window for your trouble.

I had my hat and glasses stolen off my desk at school Thursday. Yesterday I had the school start looking at the video. Then had the instructor tell the class the school is checking video. If the stuff is returned the school will not have to get more involved, but if I don't get the stuff back the Dean will be speaking to the thief. The have a very good video system. When I went out on break the hat and glasses were on my car...

Well, today I:

1. Took care of potentially compromised credit cards with the bank
2. Bought the library a new book to replace the stolen one
3. Replaced my phone

One thing that I lucked out with was that I was able to sync my new phone with my iTunes account and ended up not losing nearly as much as I thought that I had.

As for the culprits, they apparently have really good images of their faces; however, Chicago PD didn't really care much when I made my initial report (understandable), so I don't forsee them caring about updated info regarding about a petty theft.

I want a self destruct module for my laptop and phone. Something with a nice thermite or C-4 charge.

Enter the code, and the first time the device connects to the internet:

BOOM!

Taking the device onto a plane could be an issue, though.

Back