Kegs and off-flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hikeon3

Reaction score
So I kegged my first two batches and they have a major off-flavor/odor. Both batches came out tasting and smelling like burnt rubber. One was an amber the other was a normal american pale ale. Both were fermented in primary only and then dry hopped a week before kegging.

I cleaned my kegs out thoroughly with warm water/oxy clean and then gave them a quick blitz with iodine sanitizer, as well as soaking/sanitizing all gaskets, tubes, and connections.

The gas tank is brand new and freshly filled. The in/out lines are both brand new and im using picnic taps.

They tasted weird about a month ago after about a week on gas, so I unhooked everything and cleaned it out then re-hooked today to see if the flavors/aromas had changed. I'm still getting a burnt rubber off-flavor.

Anyone ever encountered this? All of my bottled batches before this have come out just fine. What are the odds that BOTH of my first kegged batches both have the same nasty characteristic?

did you remember to clean out the poppet valves? havent had this happen to me yet(just started kegging)...

Kegs don't sound like they are the issue since it sounds you cleaned them correctly... Is your CO2 and regulator new? I can't say I've heard of anything quite like this; I'm thinking maybe something with the CO2; or, more then likely if the regulator is used, whoever used it before may have had blow back into the regulator and something nasty happened inside with the plates/washers?

Maybe it's your beer lines? What are you using?

Hope you figure it out, that's a real bummer...

Back