Is 5 gal bucket too big for 2.5 gal recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a few Mr Beer extract kits left over from the start of my hobby but I don't have the fermenting kegs anymore. Can I ferment a 2.5-3 gal recipe in a 5 gal (total volume) fermenting bucket? Will there be too much head space?

thanks...

Mick

For primary, without a doubt you'll be fine. The fermenting will throw off a lot of CO2. Don't worry about it.

You will be fine. All I do is 2.5-3 gallon batches and I primary in a 5 gallon BB. I have yet to have any problems. During fermentation the CO2 given off with create a blanket over the beer protecting it.

Will be fine for primary fermentation. Too big if you plan on doing secondary to condition.

Thank everyone....These will be one stage fermentations (no secondary) and will go for about 3-4 weeks. The Mr. Beer website says to keep these at temps between 68-74 F but our basement is more like 65-66 F. The brewing buckets are off of the concrete floor on a wood table in the center of the room. Hope this temp will be OK for Mr Beer kits. It has worked for for my other extract brews.

Mick

Try using some Fermentis US-05 or 04... Nottingham also ferments nicely at lower temps I have found. Or you could put a heating pad on low underneath the fermenter. I would suggest pitching the (pitiful) Mr Beer yeast in the boil to act as a yeast nutrient then use the better yeasts to ferment.

I use half of packet of rehydrated Cooper's brewers yeast when I make Mr Beer kits. Didn't know what to to with the actual yeast the kits came with and your idea of using these as yeast nutrients sounds pretty cool.

Gracias Amigos

Mick

Back