Frankenwine (the root of all innovation)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHvanBommel

Reaction score
Welcome all, So after my third (yes... that many hangovers) batch of Ed's apfelwein I decided to make a batch of "rocket fuel" of my own. So:

3 Cans of Hannaford Apple Juice concentrate (tasted good...)
1 QT of R.W. Knudsen "Just Black Cherry" (unsweetened no preservatives, artificial flavors)
1 Cup Black Berry Jam (I was looking for blackberry juice but only found black cherry... the start with a B and end with erry... works for me :drunk:)
1 lb Dextrose
1 Packet Montrachet

Does anybody care to comment on the potential outcome? temp is approx 76 - 78 in NH :( so i'm not sure how well it will fare but... Any and all comments welcome, ideas, etc. etc.

The Montrachet will dry it out considerable and with the cherry and blackberry, it liable to be very tart. I probably would have used a different yeast but when your rocket fuel has mellowed it should be tasty. You might want to stabilize the yeast and back sweeten but you'll have lots of time to consider how to finish it.

Since you used jam, You will need Pectinase enzyme. Jam is made with fruit pectin to thicken it, its not just because of sugar. If you leave out pectinase enzyme, you will have a very sticky outcome. I probably would have just gone with crushed blackberries but whats done is done.

Am I correct when i see that you really only used a quart of liquid in here? whats your total volume and OG? its going to top out eventually into something with a hell of a kick and EXTREMELY, probably sickeningly sweet.

Brewing is experimentation i guess, keep us posted on how it goes. your most likely going to have atleast a few stuck fermentations

no no, 1 qt of black cherry juice and 3 cans of apple concentrate + requisite water (1.5 qts x 3) can i just kwik clear it at the end to take care of the jam issue? also... what is this about cranberry apple cider.. mm... sounds good... care to share the recipe?
Also, is pectic enzyme the same as pectinase enzyme (I would say yes but i'm constantly wrong and its very irritating)

also... what is this about cranberry apple cider.. mm... sounds good... care to share the recipe?
Also, is pectic enzyme the same as pectinase enzyme (I would say yes but i'm constantly wrong and its very irritating)

I just pitched on 2 gallons of Cranberry/Cherry/Pomegranete. Added 1lb dextrose. OG of 1077 and was pretty dang tasty going in. We'll see what happens in a few months. The Montrachet WILL dry it out....and to me, that's not a bad thing. Brewed TWO gallons so SWMBO can have one gallon sweetened and uncarbonated. I'll carb mine and bottle it as is.

Cheers...
-Paul

no no, 1 qt of black cherry juice and 3 cans of apple concentrate + requisite water (1.5 qts x 3) can i just kwik clear it at the end to take care of the jam issue? also... what is this about cranberry apple cider.. mm... sounds good... care to share the recipe?

Yes, pectic enzyme is the same as pectinase enzyme. This is needed to break down the pectins in the jam and suggested any time you use fruits with pectins (basically non grape fruits).

The recipe looks interesting and I think it will be quite tasty in a few months.

For wines we usually talk months not weeks. It will ferment in weeks but it takes months for the wine to age, mellow and really come into it own flavors. I have started to not even think about a wine until it is atleast 6months old. At 9 months the wines I have done are even better. I don't have any thing over a year yet but that seems to be what most wine makers consider a good starting point.

Craig

search panty dropper cider on the forums and the recipe will come up. to make it cranberry I just added a bag of craisins and a can of cranberry concentrate to the 2 gallon batch at secondary. its not a very strong flavor, I think ill add more next time i do it. The color of it is just beautiful.

Hey thanks! This has been very enlightening! I love these forums... and this hobby (READ: obsession)

Back