yeast starter help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewN

Reaction score
Quick question- when you use a yeast starter with an extract kit would you add your yeast starter and the yeast provided in the extract do i use the yeast they provide in my yeast starter and some of the malt+grain a day before my brew day in the starter.. Does this make sense?

Am I correct in assuming since you bought an extract kit....it came with dry yeast? If so .....you do NOT do a starter for dry yeast....you can rehydrate an hour or so before pitching....but not necessary.

If the kit came with liquid yeast....then you SHOULD do a starter...and I would start it at least a day ahead of time....better yet 2 days ahead of time....in case it is a slow start....

Let us know what type yeast you have.....

So whats the point in getting liquid yeast when dry yeast is available? Is one more beneficial? What do most people use?

There are only a few strains of dry yeast available compared to a whole lot of liquid yeast strains....so liquid yeast provides more options. Nothing at all wrong with dry yeast....as long as the right strain / type is available for the brew you are making.

Dry yeast is easier since you don't need a starter...and it costs less....

Back