Repitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdigi66

Reaction score
I brewed a porter this past Monday and as of this morning, there is still no visible activity going on in my airlock. I figured I should just go ahead and repitch with a new packet of yeast. Thoughts? My temp has been at a steady 68-72. Any ideas other than a bad yeast packet?

I've had beers ferment literally overnight, and thought they'd never even started, so the first thing I'd do is open it up (is it in a bucket or carboy?), see if there is a krausen ring, and check the sg.

What kind of yeast did you use originally?

How do you know its not working? Did you take a gravity reading? Take a reading so you are sure first, then if nothing is happening tonight or tomorrow morning repitch. People always say wait 3 full days, and take a reading before you repitch.

Didn't even think to take a gravity reading. I'll be sure to do that when I get off of work. Thanks to those who responded with the info and big thanks for the link to the forum thread. By the way, I used Windsor Ale yeast. My SG was 1.043.

Alright...I took a reading and looks as though I just missed the fermentation. My gravity is now reading 1.020. Thanks again everyone.

Latest posts

Back