"Overshot" Jamil's Maibock Recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stblindtiger

Reaction score
I recently made Jamil's Maibock Recipe but I used a little too much extract by accident and overshot the expected OG. I also don't think I made a big enough starter.

The original gravity was 1.080, and my final gravity was 1.021. It's not far off, 1.017 (expected FG) but it is still way too sweet!

My original fermentation was at 55 degrees for 40 days, a d-rest at 70 for 5 days, and then crashed it to 34 degrees for another 45 days.

I thought maybe if I put it on CO2 it would taste a little better, and it does, but it is still a little too sweet for me.

Maybe I'm not used to the style? I have to find a similar maibock to compare it too. It's nothing like Rogue's Dead Guy Ale I'll tell you that! It has a similar pepperey hit at the end, but it is just too sweet.

I was at the LHBS today and picked up a pack of Champagne yeast hoping to drop that in to see if it will bring the gravity down a bit. The guy there told me to make a starter with the yeast for 48 hours, then add a cup of the Maibock to the starter for 24 hours, then pitch it.

I forgot to tell the guy the beer was carbed.... will that be a big problem? Should I take it off the CO2, and keep purging the keg until the beer is flat again prior to pitching the yeast?

Will the champagne yeast dry it out any?

I also saw something about using Beano????

This was a pretty pricey beer, and I really don't want to be left with a $65 marinade, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

I was also thinking about just keeping it in the keg and aging it for a year or so. Think that would help at all?

Thanks!

Maybe....

On the positive side it is giving me an excuse to buy a new corney keg!

Will the Champagne yeast help it? Should I even use it?

Or should I just sit on the beer for a year and see if simply aging it takes the "bite" off of it?

champagne yeast won't help. I'd just let it be, you ended up with a dopplebock instead

Back