Lager Fermentation Stalled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarist_713

Reaction score
I made a 2 liter starter with 2 smack packs of 2206 Bavarian Lager Yeast. However, I mistakenly chilled the starter wort down to 54 degrees before pitching the yeast. The starter stayed at 54 for three days until I had brewed and chilled a German Marzen with an OG of 1.065 and chilled that wort down to the low 50's before adding the starter. It's been 24 hours and there is still no activity. I've warmed it up into the mid 60's, shaken the hell out of the fermenter, the problem is I have no other lager yeast and im leaving to go on vacation to Florida for a week in the morning. Do I raise the temperature controlled fridge into ale fermentation temperature range and repitch with the ale yeast I do have and surrender the clean crisp qualities of a lager? Or drop it back into the low 50's, add a blow off tube and hope that 300 billion yeast cells suddenly decide to wake up? Help

24 hours isn't long enough. Give it at least a few days if possible at your target temp rang. Lager yeast are notoriously slow. By the time you get back I'd almost bet money it will be going.

It hasn't stalled, it hasn't started.

Set the temp for what you wish to ferment at and go on your trip.

Thanks for the advice! It's my first lager, and I spent nearly 9 hours fiddling with a triple decoction mash Friday. I was afraid that if the yeast didn't get started something else would. I set it at 50 an put a blow off tube on. Now I can enjoy my vacation

Well im back from vacation and the gravity hasn't budged. Still 1.060. So now I'm building a 2000ml starter with a packet of English ale yeast, bringing the temp up to 65 and pitching, it's been sitting at 50 degrees for a week- should still be ok right?

In six days you went from 1.065 to 1.060, so it has started. Lager temps. and yeast are slow to start and finish, but do what you want. I would ignore it for a few weeks and not worry rather than mess with it or make a mess with more yeast. What a bomb that would be! Pictures ? before you clean up?:(

I just dropped the hydrometer into the mouth of the carboy and eyeballed it. It's probably 1.065. I'd rather have something to show for my work than have to dump it down the drain. The other thing is I ordered exactly enough ingredients to make two batches of the same beer, (the plan was to repitch the lager yeast from the first to ferment the second) so I think it would be interesting to have an ale version and hopefully a lager version. I'd have to order more lager yeast before I brew again

I'm not gonna drink your beer but you are. pitch lager yeast only no ale yeasts. You will thank me 9 hrs is a long decoction day. Don't ruin it with a different yeast. Add more lager yeast if your worried.

This thread is probably getting way too long for what it is but.... I made a big starter with some ale yeast, and then decided to drive 50 miles to my closest home brew store and buy some lager yeast. WL830. So there ya go I have a starter going at room temperature this time ad we'll see what happens

Wow, I feel for ya. Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong; at least nothing so wrong that it would cause the yeast to simply refuse to get working. Maybe the couple of crash coolings did it... they say yeast don't like to be quickly chilled. But still, that shouldnt have caused this. :(

Good luck.

Well I pitched the new lager yeast which was at room temperature into the wort which I changed to 60 degrees and after 12 hours fermentation started! It's now chugging along at 51 degrees

Back