Wine Thief / Test Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaltyPirate

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good wine thief and test tube? Found plenty lying around Amazon and brew sites but I figured it'd be best to take a recommendation from experienced folks...

I use the Fermtech Grizzly posted above and love it. Way easier than dipping something in wort or fermenting beer....and the only simple option for a carboy. The downside is in sanitation. It's so long that I can't submerge it in sanitizer very well if I'm only taking a hydro of fermenting beer. Kyle

fermtech for both a wine thief and auto-siphon.

a wall paper tray is good for long tool sanitizing. or a spray bottle (assuming its star-san)

I use the Fermtech thief.
It can be a pain to sanitize but I appreciate the length when actually taking the sample. It would be even more appreciated if used in taller containers with lots of headspace. You may notice interesting color layers if you take a full depth sample. Also, the extra capacity makes for more taste sampling pleasure. I also think the length assists in retaining the fragile hydrometer.

FWIW, I sanitize mine in a tall flower vase.

I usually take the Fermtech and "bounce" it up and down in a few inches of sanitizer. Because of the one-way stopper, it will completely fill with sanitizer. As far as the outside, I take a paper towel (fairly sanitary to start with - think tattoo shops), soak it in Star San and wrap it around the outside of the tube.

I had a 3 piece thief that you had to put your thumb over to collect a sample. stupid middle peice cracked after being used once and I can no longer use it. well my LHBS had this nice BIG stainless turkey baster for $6.99 I bought it.

-=Jason=-

Back