just tested 30 plate chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamming

Reaction score
Was shocked :eek: I bought a 30 plate chiller 23 series "long version" and just tested 5 gallons of Boiling water, Granted it will cool quicker than wort, but was amazed from the results. I use a 100 qt cooler and a submersible pump, with cool tap water and about half a bag of ice it cooled in less than 3 minutes to 68f. Turning the flow down to half caused the temp to drop to 50f and at full flow from a march pump with 1/2 line ID it was right at 70f. This is a amazing plate chiller for $104 from dudadiesel ! Even with some people talking about the cleaning issues i think its worth it for sure. :mug:

So, you are recirculating? If you are... Try recirculating without chilling for one minute to sanitize and then straight the the fermenter. Why reheat what you have already chilled?

So, you are recirculating? If you are... Try recirculating without chilling for one minute to sanitize and then straight the the fermenter. Why reheat what you have already chilled?

Agree ! Thats my intention is straight into the Blichmann and skip a step, Thanks for the tip on running to sanitize, funny i never thought to do that, was thinking i would sanitize with starsan first, but no need to if doing it this way. I do recirculate and just use blue ice packs and what ice i can get out of my ice maker in the freezer, I do 10 gallon batches and the 15 large ice packs and some ice worked "slow" but ok with a immersion chiller, So i assume it will be better with the plate chiller.

Pics for anyone interested in chiller.

DSCN2462.jpg

DSCN2463.jpg

DSCN2464.jpg

Update ! Plate chiller works great, but not so well with a recirculation system, temps vary a bit to much for continuous temps. Switched to the garden hose and its spot on from 210f to 70f in 6 minutes, cool water temps from a well. Right into the fermentor skipping a step. :D

Back