Dry hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badhabit

Reaction score
I am dry hopping in a 5 G carboy with very little head space and keep getting lots of C02????? production, enough that I have gone back to a blow off tube. I have noted that the hops cause foam in a dry hop at any time but was just wondering what whart happening.

Don't transfer the beer to a secondary next time, dryhop in the primary. Your primary has more head space. Been dry hopping in the primary for a year now and have never looked back. It's easier and it introduces less O2.

I doubt the hops are causing fermentation. It could be the lack of headspace is causing CO2 to dissolve into solution. Then small temp. fluctuations could release the CO2.

The other possibility is you transferred before fermentation was completed, and the yeast found some reason to start partying again.

i dont want to steal your thread but i have a dry hop question as well. figured this would be the place to post it. i just brewed an IPA and instead of using the hops that came with the kit i used my home grown hops (no idea what kind) and after tasting a bit when i took my SG reading it has no hop flavor or aroma. so when i check for FG the next time i will taste it again and if it is still the case i was thinking of throwing in the original hops that came with the kit and dry hopping for a week. good idea?

Your fermented beer is saturated with Carbon Dioxide gas, even though it tastes flat. The pellet hops you added caused the gas to come out of solution violently (read: nucleation sites, mentos in diet coke). If you're going to dry hop, put the pellets in the secondary and rack onto them.

Cheers,

Joe

Your fermented beer is saturated with Carbon Dioxide gas, even though it tastes flat. The pellet hops you added caused the gas to come out of solution violently (read: nucleation sites, mentos in diet coke). If you're going to dry hop, put the pellets in the secondary and rack onto them.

+1 agree with the nucleation of the CO2 from the hops.

-ZB

I have been adding the hops the day after transfer to secondary but the idea to do it at the time of transfer makes lots of sense. Thanks for the information as to why and the suggestion.

Back