Oak chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boodyrischous

Reaction score
I am going to oak part of a stout batch. I have some oak chips, and wanted to know the proper method for using them.

Do I need to use hard alcohol to sanitize them? Is there another method of making sure they are bacteria-free?

Thanks.

I generally just toss them in. Never had any issues, assuming they are fresh from a home brew supplier.

Some folks will soak in bourbon or other flavored spirit of their choice.

Four your stout, maybe a good soak in some vanilla flavored vodka.

boodyrischous said:
I am going to oak part of a stout batch. I have some oak chips, and wanted to know the proper method for using them.

Do I need to use hard alcohol to sanitize them? Is there another method of making sure they are bacteria-free?

Thanks.

I did a bourbon stout that turned out well. 2 oz of oak chips soaked in 10 oz of bourbon for 1 month then added to the brew and sat for 2 months. This was a 10%abv brew so the day I brewed it I put the bourbon and oak together. Fermented for a month then racked to a clearing tank and added both the bourbon and oak.
If you are looking for just the oak and not the bourbon I would just soak them a few days and then add only the chips.
Then let it sit at least a month. But I think that the longer the better.

I've seen Jack Daniels oak barrel chips...that are suppose to be chopped up old barrels I bet these would be awesome for that.

The BassPro Shop here in Vegas sells the Jack Daniels oak barrel chips for use in smokers. I don't know if they are the same thing, or if they would be ok to soak in a brew, but they smell d@mn good. Like nice smoky, bourbony oak.

Latest posts

Back