Your favorite extract brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-lord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brew 95% all grain but am looking to quickly and easily increase my pipeline with some time saving brewing using extract.
Some friends have brewed some fine beer with only extract and I did a very good pilsner (not my favorite style) months back that I was surprised with.

For some reason, the extract IPA's I've tasted dont'seem to be as good as the all grain version while the lighter beers and stouts have been very, very good.
Quality malts make a huge difference too.

What's your best extract recipe and what do you do to make it come out so good?

If you like wheat, my favorite is:

6 lbs wheat lme
1/2 lb carawheat
2 oz hallertau
Wyeast 3638

4oz Caramunich II
8oz Crystal 40L
6lb Pilsen LME
2lb Golden Light DME
1lb sugar
1oz Saaz 60m
1oz Saaz 10m
WLP 566
Ferment on the warmer end for the yeast.

Thanks for the ideas.
I do tons of IPA's so converting my favorites from all grain to extract is a great idea. I'll likely steep some grains but it will be interesting to see how they stack up against is each.
Cheers!

6lb Wheat DME
8oz Sugar
1oz Amarillo 15m
1oz Amarillo 10m
1oz Amarillo 5m
1oz Amarillo flameout
Steep 45m after boil before cooling
US-05
2oz Amarillo dryhop 5 days

I really enjoy northern brewers extract version of caribou slobber:

.25lb Caramel 80
.25lb Chocolate
.125lb Black
6lb Amber LME
1lb Amber DME
1oz US Goldings (60)
1oz Liberty (45)
1oz Willamette (15)

Windosr or Wyeast 1332

I always use windosr and usually convert the LME to DME, depending on what I have on hand/prices when I order.

Liberty cream ale is quick and easy from Midwest. I made one with an extra pound of sugar to increase abv. It turned out great. Fermented two weeks , forced keg 3 days!

I would say my favorite extract thus far is either the Deshcutes Obsidian Stout clone recipe on the board or the Amarillo IPA. Both got rave reviews. I do all extract and have to agree that some of my hoppy beers are really good, while others need some time to get there. For example, I made a Stone Ruination clone in December. It tasted a little 'off' in January, but had one last Friday (March) and WOW! Very nice! The same for a AB clone I made in January--originally I didn't like it a few weeks after bottling, but now I only wish I would have dry hopped it....really nice! I am going to start working on the water for my hoppy brews next.

My best beer is an IPA. First time I did it I used noting but Simcoe, therefore called it a Simcoe IPA. I've since changed the hops around. Is it my favorite? Depends on the season and what style I'm in the mood for, but it's without a doubt my best.

Screen shot 2013-03-20 at 8.55.57 PM.png

The best extract recipes I've had have all been stouts and wheat, and I've also heard that extract wheat beers tend to not come out much better as AG. Not knocking anyone's brew style of choice, I myself am all extract at the moment and that was just what i heard from an all-grain brewer. They said they have that one extract wheat go to because you can do it on the quick.

For some reason, the extract IPA's I've tasted dont'seem to be as good as the all grain version while the lighter beers and stouts have been very, very good.

Actually, too me, really hoppy IPAs seem to work well as an extract brew. Light beers always seem to be the hardest to do. I also agree that porters and stouts can be done well as an extract and have had good success with wheat DME, Hallertau and 3068 for a dead simple hefeweizen.

Actually, too me, really hoppy IPAs seem to work well as an extract brew. Light beers always seem to be the hardest to do. I also agree that porters and stouts can be done well as an extract and have had good success with wheat DME, Hallertau and 3068 for a dead simple hefeweizen.
I agree about hefeweizen. I recently made Northern Brewer's hefeweizen. Simplest recipe in the world. Came out just as good as most commercial hefeweizens out there. It helps that weihenstephaner's yeast is awesome and is the main component of the hefeweizen flavor

Warrior works for bittering. I cringe to see people throw away Amarillo to bitter.

I'm not in love with amarillo, and I had a couple ounces lying around, which is why I used it as I did. The beer turned out excellent so I decided not to change the recipe at all. Amarillo is no harder for me to come by and no more expensive than warrior or magnum or whatever else one might use, so why not?

My first Irish stout was a stunning example of good beer IMO, and my most recent porter (St. Paul Porter from NB) has been excellent after 2 weeks in the bottle. I guess I just brew darker ales better than pale ales, though I've had very good blonde ales in the past.

I'd have to vote for NB's Dead Ringer kit so far...though their RIS is a close second. Depends on my mood really.

So far, Midwest supplies have sold me my two favorite extract kits, those being their double IPA, and their Imperial stout. Yeah, I know the stout needs more time for aging, but still a damn good beer in my own personal opinion(And everyone I have served it to) SWMBO loved their double IPA, and is yelling at me to make another, but I just recently started AG brewing, so I need to try to find something close to it:drunk:

Latest posts

Back