Can I use a Poland Spring Bottle as a second fermentation vessel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. It originally held water, so it is food-grade. I am sure there are people here who will disagree, but the beer does not care what the bottle looks like or where it comes from. Since it is food-grade plastic, it is safe, and there is no reason not to use it as a secondary fermenter. If you are planning an exceptionally long secondary (more than a month or so) then glass may be a better choice due to reduced oxygen permeability. Other than that, though, it should work fine.

DrummerBoySeth said:
Yes. It originally held water, so it is food-grade. I am sure there are people here who will disagree, but the beer does not care what the bottle looks like or where it comes from. Since it is food-grade plastic, it is safe, and there is no reason not to use it as a secondary fermenter. If you are planning an exceptionally long secondary (more than a month or so) then glass may be a better choice due to reduced oxygen permeability. Other than that, though, it should work fine.

Thanks. Do you know what size stopper with airlock hole I would need for it?

No, I am afraid I do not know what size that would be. It is probably the same size as a standard "carboy" or "better bottle", but I cannot remember what number that would be. Your LHBS should know the answer to that question, though.

DrummerBoySeth said:

How do you know they aren't certified as a vessel for water only? Beer has a fairly lower pH than water. Also you have to think about flavor crossover batch to batch.

You could always do what I do. I use the returnable plastic water jugs as a secondary. After I use it as a secondary, I'll return it to the store and they give you a coupon for the next five gallon jug. Then you get your water and a brand new carboy to use as a secondary. When it's done, you start from the beginning!

Back