Making my way to grain brewing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devantf

Reaction score
So ive only been brewing for two months and i want to get away from extracts. From what ive read i dont know if i am ready yet.

i intended to brew a bohemian pilsner type beer today hopefully not having to use the back up DME i bought. (From the looks of it i will need to)

So after my reading im feeling like im not ready (dont fully understand mashing and have the proper equipment) So the big question is will my original plan work? or will it be a waste of grains??

So i am brewing a 5gal batch with 1 pack of wyeast bohemian pilsner activator

I have:
5lbs of crushed pilsner grains
1lb of crushed simpsons golden grains
3lbs light DME (as back up if i dont feel good about the grains)

Protein @ 125°F for 20min
Beta Conversion @ 140°F for 30min
Alpha Conversion @ 158°F for 30min

Will this schedule work? I dont know pH of my water or have pH testing strips...are these essential?

What equipment do you have? PH testing is definitely not required.

That schedule should be fine but I don't think all the rests are required and they definitely complicate things.

i do all this with two 5 gal pots and a straining bag. do you have a simpler schedule for me? perhaps just cut out one of these Beta Conversion @ 140°F for 30min Alpha Conversion @ 158°F for 30min?

After listening the the Malt Analysis brew strong show, I'm thinking the protein rest is unwarranted unless you're using wheat, to be honest. Even then, they only recommend 15 minutes.

I personally will probably never direct fire my mash, although many others do so with no problems.

I like your schedule too. Maybe even a single infusion step at 152-154°.

Boil for 90 minutes as Pilsner malt has a higher propensity for DMS.

Back