n00b question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spencecore24

Reaction score
i generally mash with 1 qt per pound of grain. sparge with as much as i am trying to produce. I work with 3 gallon batches so i sparge with 3 gallons. I always end up with about a half gallon or quart more than i need. Is this lowering my efficiency? is there a different rule i should follow?

i mash ~1.25 qt per lb, sparge with the rest i need to hit my pre boil volume, this will put me on with my pre boil gravity. after the boil, the extra has boiled off and i should be on my OG for the batch. i generally get 70-80% efficiency, depending on several factors.

Agree with NE... I use 1.25 qt/lb and mash-out and sparge to equal 6.5 gallons (typically) in the boil kettle (on average, I boil off 1 g/hr.), so that puts 5.5 in the fermenter.

I typically do stove top and use a grain bag. Never sure how much water will be lost when i mash. So determining sparge quantity is difficult

Back