force carbonate a growler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think the relief valve is set so low because it is designed to keep carbonation not carbonate the beer. mostly just get the oxygen off the beer. using this to force carbonate is a secondary purpose i think it could be used for.

got a response from the creator: "The TapIt Cap cannot be used to actively force carb beer but it can passively. By actively I mean turning the pressure to 80 PSI and shaking it around like you would with a corny keg. It can be used to passively carbonate beer if it is cold and you use a CO2 tank and regulator."

I am very suspicious of his claims. My local brewery won't serve Nitro beer in a growler, because they claim it may shatter. Nitro beers are around 30 psi.

So 100 psi sounds very high.

I have followed this for a while, since the inventor and invention was adopted by a favorite local brewery, Strange. The question of growler pressures intrigued me. We have all heard "you cannot carbonate in a growler" and "never add priming sugar to try and carbonate in a growler" and so on.

How much of this is myth? Has anyone actually first of all, measured the pressures created when bottle carbonating using priming sugar? Second of all, has anyone really done any burst testing on growlers? This guy is the first I have read, yet there must be industry data out there. I have some growlers that are fairly thin, and others that have really thick, heavy glass.

During some of my long cycling trips, we used to take one liter soda bottles, make a hole in the cap, insert a used tire tube valve and pump them up to bursting, which would result in a very loud bang to of course disturb the other campers.

It seems to me that someone with some time and the right protection could take this idea of tire valves and a floor pump and some kind of protective box and test a variety of bottles and growlers and come up with some numbers.

Likewise, there must be some pressure gauge that keeps the high pressure and could be rigged to a bottle cap to actually measure the maximum pressure generated during carbonation.

Let's get some evidence!

I have followed this for a while, since the inventor and invention was adopted by a favorite local brewery, Strange. The question of growler pressures intrigued me. We have all heard "you cannot carbonate in a growler" and "never add priming sugar to try and carbonate in a growler" and so on.

How much of this is myth? Has anyone actually first of all, measured the pressures created when bottle carbonating using priming sugar? Second of all, has anyone really done any burst testing on growlers? This guy is the first I have read, yet there must be industry data out there. I have some growlers that are fairly thin, and others that have really thick, heavy glass.

During some of my long cycling trips, we used to take one liter soda bottles, make a hole in the cap, insert a used tire tube valve and pump them up to bursting, which would result in a very loud bang to of course disturb the other campers.

It seems to me that someone with some time and the right protection could take this idea of tire valves and a floor pump and some kind of protective box and test a variety of bottles and growlers and come up with some numbers.

Likewise, there must be some pressure gauge that keeps the high pressure and could be rigged to a bottle cap to actually measure the maximum pressure generated during carbonation.

Let's get some evidence!

I think the issue is that growlers are not designed for pressure, and different manufacturers may have different qualities to their product. I knew someone who lost an eye to a shattered wine bottle (put a hot bottle of champagne in an ice chest- boom! - not smart), and don't think that a use for a product that is not intended for that use is a good idea.

Far easier to just learn to drink em five at a time!:mug:

I am very suspicious of his claims. My local brewery won't serve Nitro beer in a growler, because they claim it may shatter. Nitro beers are around 30 psi.

This doesn't make sense to me. Nitro beers are served around 30 PSI, but the pressure drops near ambient as soon as it goes through the restrictor plate and into the glass (or growler). Unlike with CO2, very little nitrogen is actually dissolved into the beer, so any pressure that would form in the headspace of a growler will be almost entirely due to the CO2. Since nitro beers are carbonated to a pretty low level, the growler would actually be under significantly lower pressure than one filled with a traditionally carbed beer.

Regardless, I would never pressurize a growler anywhere near 100 PSI.

Any specific growlers y'all are talking about? Reason I'm asking theweeb said can't carbonate in a growler, what my local watering hole calls a growler I regularly bottle carb beers in and have never had a problem. They are the one liter swing top bottles btw.

, when there are probably hundreds of people reporting that they have exploded during bottle conditioning, which can be around 30-50 psi.

I'd be interested in where you found those pressures for conditioning. Please post!

zachattack said:
That's my point. We have many reported cases of growlers bursting during carbonation, and that should require well below 130 psi. While I don't doubt Growlersaver's own testing, there's obviously a discrepancy. Maybe it's the duration of the pressurization? I don't know, but like I said, I'd never pressurize a growler that high. I don't know why you're interested, with all the reports of them exploding and with vendors like Northern Brewer explicitly warning not to bottle condition in their growlers. The only "data" available is from posts on this forum. If you want to read more, I'd just search around.

Maybe start here
growler explode site:www.homebrewtalk.com

I filled one with lukewarm water and oxyclean and put the cap on as I normally would. Came home to growler glass shards all over my sink and kitchen.

Don't carbonate in a growler, it is not worth the risk of injury.

Disclaimer: No data, just my own experience.

I wonder if the amount of head space - or lack of - makes a difference in the amount of pressure that is built up in it during carbonation?

Back