Summer ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titletowngirl

Reaction score
Ext, going to brew brewers best summer ale. Was a huge success next year after adding ginger and coriander. The kit comes with a dry yeast packet. Should I stick with that or can you suggest a liquid yeast to get. Having success with the yeast starter thus far and was thinking of doing that. I didn't do it last year.

What type of summer ale are you looking to make? Based on the info, maybe Wyeast 3944, the witbier strain. I've made many brews with that strain and like the results.

What part of Titletown do you live in? I work up there and live in Sheboygan, but am planning on relocating up to GB hopefully soon.

Good luck with the batch!

The BB summer ale kit my wife brewed as her 1st came with Safale US-05 dry yeast packet. It's about like Cooper's ale yeast without the nondescript fruit esters flavor-wise. Sprinkled on dry,it took off like mad by the next morning & chugged along strong & sure. Very good performing yeast,& cheaper than liquid. Not to mention that dry yeasy packets contain more cells than liquid. Just re-hydrate dry yeast in 1-2C of boiled & cooled water. It should be at least 70F on the water temp. It works great for me in 20-30 minutes with a nice krausen.

You're welcome. Just wait till the yeast/water is at high krausen,stir,& pour into fermenter. Just remember to take your hydrometer sample first.

You shouldn't judge a yeast by the moistness of their packaging, but by the content of their fermenting character!!

There's nothing "inferior" about dry yeast vs. liquid yeast for most beer styles, they are just different.

S-05 is my FAVORITE yeast for most beers because it hardly adds any additional anything to the beer, besides alcohol and CO2, of course! I vote you stick with the dry guys!

Back