Raspberry Wit Beer recipe - Please critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaced

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for some advice on a raspberry wit beer recipe.

2.8Kg Sorghum Syrup @ 60 minutes
15g Hallertauer Hops @ 60 minutes
14 Tettnanger Hops @ 20 minutes
3oz Maltodextrine @ 15 minutes
375g Demerara sugar @ 15 minutes
1tsp Yeast nutrient @ 10 minutes
14g Tettnanger Hops @ 0 minutes
*** Cold Crash ***
1 sachet of WB-06 Yeast
*** 7 days primary Fermentation ***
Rack onto 3.52 to 4.4 pounds of Raspberries
- Raspberries will be from a can (most cost effective), blended and heated to 150 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes
*** 7 to 14 days secondary fermentation ***

Should I swap the Demerara sugar for invert syrup? I’m cautious to use too much sugar as I want it to be balanced.
Should I not include the last hop addition?
Should I use whirlfloc/irish moss, considering that a haze won’t be a problem?
Anyone used jam instead of fresh/canned fruit?

I was listening to Basic Brewing Radio today and James Spencer was talking to Randy Mosher, old episode. Randy talked about using jams in wheat beers. The jam creates a hazy look which really isn't a problem in wheat beers and the fruit is usually good quality. The sugar shouldn't cause I problem since it is such a small amount but I don't have a lot of practice with it.

I can't comment on the grain bill, but I have used the Vintner's Harvest red raspberry puree for a cream ale recently, and it came out awesome - extremely pleasing in both aroma and flavor.

When using jam or preserves, I'd imagine the haze would come from the pectin that is very likely to be present in the fruity goo.

All in all, the recipe sounds really good to me. I'm becoming more and more interested in GF brewing because of the dietary needs of my girlfriend, and this looks like something that would be right up her alley.

For anyone reading this that isn't into the metric system, the sorghum extract would be about 6 pounds, each hop addition about 1/2 ounce, and the sugar about 3/4 pound.

The input I would have on the recipe would be: Why bother boiling the yeast nutrient at all? Just add at flameout... I doubt it would affect the flavor of the end product at all, though. Also, if I understand correctly, demerara sugar is about the same as turbinado sugar, and both are kind of similar to light brown sugar. That might help someone who would be interested in trying the recipe but is having trouble finding the ingredients.

Let us know how it turns out. I don't think I'll be able to give it a shot for a few months, but I probably will as soon as I can find the WB-06.

:mug:

Thanks for the conversions jimmystewart. I've had a bit of trouble with my previous expirements not going to plan, so this might not be brewed for a few weeks. Blood oranges have shown up at the local markets so I'll have a crack at LCasanova's recipe for Blood Orange Wheat beer first.

Problem with a lot of beers I'm trying to replicate is that I didn't try them before I became a celiac. Might leave out the aroma hops and just go with flavour and bittering.

I actually brewed a similar recipe this past weekend.

6 lb Sorghum Syrup @ 60 minutes
1 oz Saaz Hops @ 60 minutes
.5 oz Tettnang Hops @ 30 minutes
1 lb soft belgian candi sufar @ 60 minutes
1tsp Yeast nutrient @ 10 minutes
0.5 oz Tettnang Hops @ 5 minutes
WB-06

1.5 tsp coriander

It doesn't have the fruit but the base recipe seems similar. I'll tell you how it is in a few weeks.

Back