Adding fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anewby

Reaction score
Okay, this may have been discussed already, but too tired to search 😁

I am making a Lefe Blonde, but would like to add apricots to the recipe...

My question is "when to add". Do I add directly to the wort? Or in primary fermentation

Thanks for the help

Standard wisdom is to let the primary fermentation continue to completion then add the fruit (in either the primary fermenter or after racking to a secondary) The yeast will eat up the newly introduced fruit sugars, kicking off the fermentation again.

I've done fruit beers 3 times and the best results were adding frozen fruit to primary after fermentation was complete. It gave the best flavor. If you add to primary before fermentation, it ends up too tart. If you add to the boil, it ends up cloudy.

Hope this helps.

How ould you add frozen fruit to a carboy just out of curiosity? Or do you primary in a plastic bucket?

I primary in buckets.

You can add to a secondary carboy and rack over it if you like. I like to put the fruit in a bag so it all stays together and is easier to get out. Don't forget to weight it so it stays below the surface of the beer (otherwise you need to push it down daily)

I like doing small batch fruit beers. I'll take 2 gallons from the primary to make a fruit beer and drink the rest as regular beer.

I'm making an Apricot Tamarind Starfruit Saison next week. It could be a disaster, but it's only 2 gallons, so I just let it rip.

Latest posts

Back