Name That Hops Variety

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traviswalken

Reaction score
I am very new home brewer (just bottled my first batch and have another in primary). My Mom is a pretty avid gardener and planted some hops years ago. She is not a home brewer, she just likes their looks. She told me I could harvest the hops, but she has no idea what variety they are.

Can you guess at the variety of hops, or do they all look the same? If it helps you guess, we live in Western Washington. Please let me know what you think.

Sorry for the quality of the photo, but hopefully there is enough detail.

Thanks.

2012-09-01 11.06.23.jpg

It is nearly impossible to tell the variety of hops from looking at the leaves and cones. I believe I have the same exact hops growing in my yard here in Massachusetts. My next door neighbor was a gardener and was so unkind to let them propagate into my yard accidentally years ago :) They do taste great in beer when used as late additions. Based on the flavor and aroma they might be Kent Goldings.

It is nearly impossible to tell the variety of hops from looking at the leaves and cones. I believe I have the same exact hops growing in my yard here in Massachusetts. My next door neighbor was a gardener and was so unkind to let them propagate into my yard accidentally years ago :) They do taste great in beer when used as late additions. Based on the flavor and aroma they might be Kent Goldings.

Thanks. I figured it would be difficult to tell. It looks like I will just have to try some in a batch and see what does.

I knowledgable home brewer might be able to give you a good idea if you bring him dried cones. Scent between varieties can be easy to distinguish, at least narrow down to a few possibilities and tell you of they are bittering or aroma

Find an IPA lover / brewer and they might be able to smell them out for you, otherwise, pics are nearly impossible to use.

Back