Is This Considered BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMannion87

Reaction score
I recently followed DeathBrewer's tutorial to do my first all grain brew (Galaxy SMaSH). Everything went well, I mashed in the oven and nearly hit my estimated OG. I mashed at 1.25 qts per lb for 60 minutes and dunk sparged with 4 gallons of water for 10 minutes.

Is this method considered BIAB or not because there is a dunk sparge involved? Can I continue to use this method effectively or should I increase my water to grain ratio? Basically I have a 7 gallon and 5 gallon pot available to use. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

That's what I do- heat up my mash water in a four gallon pot, add grain in a bag, put it in an oven that was preheated to its lowest setting, and let it go. 45 minutes later, I start heating the water for the dunk sparge in the brew pot. As long as you are able to hit your gravity, go for it. You end up having to wash two pots rather than one, but it works. (I find that you can save yourself a little time by heating the wort from the mash in the first pot while you dunk sparge in the brew pot- you can get it close to a boil, add it to the wort from the dunk sparge, and then your whole volume will be boiling before you know it.)

Thanks for the quick reply. What's the most you have mashed in the oven? My SMaSH was only 10 lbs, but I wanted to up the grain bill for my next brew. I've heard some people have trouble maintaining temps with more grain...Does the 10 minute dunk sparge work regardless of how much grain you have? (say 12-16 lbs?)

The more grain, or the larger the batch, the better the temps will hold. If you can lift it and put the mash in the oven then keep doing it, I think it is a great way to hold stable mash temps. Whether or not you continue to use two pots and dunk sparge is really up to you. Granted a sparge will yield higher efficiency, but sometimes it is easier to lump it all in one pot and make a batch using BIAB one vessel full volume. If your buying grain at the "right" price through a bulk buy per sack...the sparge deal amounts to fifty cents or a dollar, maybe less....decisions decisions...cheers!

Sometimes I sparge the bag, other times not...when I'm lazy and don't bother sparging I feel I'm giving the deer in the back yard a little extra treat...

Back