Beginner extract black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so I did my first extract kit last week with specialty grains and a full boil, but I cooled and transferred to primary and put in the brew chamber for a week with dry hops as well, then realized a couple of days after that I forgot to strain off any of the hops or break matter, so when I transferred to secondary I filtered using a grain bag with the siphon inside it, will this still turn out alright or have I botched the batch, or may i have compromised the shelf life a little bit.
Any help would be appreciated, as my only info on shifting to extract was from how to brew and the Internet.

Cheers

As long as you sanitized the bag first, your beer should be fine. The oxygen picked up during racking (through the bag) shouldn't be an issue... if you drink quickly ;)

I don't strain anything out before it goes in the primary. Then I just siphon normally into the the secondary. It goes into the bottling bucket crystal clear. If you sanitized the grain bag you should be Ok, but there was no reason to use it.

Yep bag was sanitized drowned in star San, so all should be good just have to wait the long wait till its ready to drink.
Thanks for putting the mind at ease

Back