VIDEO: My (ugly) hands-free milling station (Barley Crusher + cordless drill + scrap)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbeergeek

Reaction score
Just though I'd post my ugly duct tape/cardboard/scrap wood/clothesline milling setup on her inaugural run, milling 15 lbs of grain for a Belgian Rye Black IIPA. I like that I can be heating up strike water or preheating my tun while this baby rips through grain 30 lbs at a time, unsupervised. Worked like a charm.

[ame="http://youtu.be/U_cdFogoXrs"]Video here.[/ame]

What keeps it from tipping over? And can you really get #30 crushed into that bucket? I like the ghetto hopper extension but seems no point having a hopper that holds more than the receiving bucket.

Thanks for sharing I'd like to do something like this too.

Those 7.9 gal buckets will hold maybe just short of 30lbs of grain. I use one to bring crushed grain home from work. If you compacted the crushed grain I could see getting 30lbs in there. Nice quick easy mill setup...

eric19312 said:
What keeps it from tipping over? And can you really get #30 crushed into that bucket? I like the ghetto hopper extension but seems no point having a hopper that holds more than the receiving bucket.

Thanks for sharing I'd like to do something like this too.

The board to which the drill and mill are mounted is quite thick/dense/heavy and not prone to tipping over. I'm not sure how much crushed rain will fit into the bucket -- I know that around 30 pounds of grain can fin in my mash tun, which is where the figure comes from. I agree the hopper is taller than it needs to be, but what's the big deal about shutting it off and swapping out a bucket for the last couple of pounds of grain? That possibility is certainly a better than refilling a smaller hopper at the same time...

I'm very happy with the results and I hope others take the plunge into "letting go" of their milling process :mug:

Back