Recruiting the faithful into to flock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
Not sure is this belongs here, but was wondering how many of your friends you have brought into the homebrew world?

I have a friend who is fan of good beer, we share a mutual love of Moose Drool. He came over and hung out last night while the SWMBO's went to midnight mass. I had a 6'r of the storebought in the fridge just in case, but gave him on of my nut browns from the keg to sample. Many beers later, and the storebought is still in the fridge :mug:

Anyway, he was asking me alot of brewing questions, and mentioned that when he retires next year (they are moving to the south) that he has been thinking about trying homebrewing.

I gave him my copy of the The Complete Joy of Homebrewing to read, and am planning an upcoming brewday with him.

I know alot of people (like me) started this hobby on thier own, and so started with basic equipment and an extract only kit. At this point, I am brewing partial mash kits, and with the aquisition of 4 16 gallon kegs have begun work on my all grain setup. But, I don't want to scare the guy off by making it seem more complicated than it is, so I am thinking that we will brew a basic extract recipe to show him the ease of brewing.

Have any of you brought others into the flock?

I have brought all of my friend into the homebrewing world.

Both of them.

But neither of them have caught the bug.

Me, keeps telling Myself, that I will just keep brewing a lot of beer and that they shouldn't bother cause they both know I will share.

Seriously. Everyone knows I brew way more than I consume. My neighbors are all too familiar with my beer and my main bud knows that he is always welcome.

Not sure is this belongs here, but was wondering how many of your friends you have brought into the homebrew world?

I have a friend who is fan of good beer, we share a mutual love of Moose Drool. He came over and hung out last night while the SWMBO's went to midnight mass. I had a 6'r of the storebought in the fridge just in case, but gave him on of my nut browns from the keg to sample. Many beers later, and the storebought is still in the fridge :mug:

Anyway, he was asking me alot of brewing questions, and mentioned that when he retires next year (they are moving to the south) that he has been thinking about trying homebrewing.

I gave him my copy of the The Complete Joy of Homebrewing to read, and and planning an upcoming brewday with him.

I know alot of people (like me) started this hobby on thier own, and so started with basic equipment and an extract only kit. At this point, I am brewing partial mash kits, and with the aquisition of 4 16 gallon kegs have begun work on my all grain setup. But, I don't want to scare the guy off by making it seem more complicated than it is, so I am thinking that we will brew a basic extract recipe to show him the ease of brewing.

Have any of you brought other into the flock?

I am so glad this is not what i thought it was... I havent converted anybody latly... although my uncle and i are working on my cousin... he drinks the HB but he doesnt contribute... and well thats not as fun as contributing

Cheers

My brother came for a visit in the spring and we drank a few of my home brews. Shortly after I get a phone call asking me TNCJOHB is a good book.
A few weeks ago my SIL asks me to recommend a home brewing kit for his Xmas present. She got him a Northern Brewer kit, and I got him a Session Kit from Austin Homebrew. Next time he visits I am going to show him all grain.

Over the past 6 years I've had tons of people I work with and friends ask me ****loads of questions about brewing, but most don't want to do the work (which isn't much) and the others will repeatedly talk about how they're going to once they [insert excuse here]. Most of them want me to bring them beer, like I'm a freaking vending machine. :rolleyes:

I dropped the evangelical card a long time ago. We get excited and expect everyone else who likes something other than BMC to get excited and want to jump right in but in reality, a lot of people won't get bit by the bug. I DO, however, have a friend that wants to but his fiancee won't let him (yes yes, get in line with everyone else that says that's a sure sign he shouldn't marry her). So he's getting a homebrew kit for his wedding present. :D He's going to need it.

Over the past 6 years I've had tons of people I work with and friends ask me ****loads of questions about brewing, but most don't want to do the work (which isn't much) and the others will repeatedly talk about how they're going to once they [insert excuse here]. Most of them want me to bring them beer, like I'm a freaking vending machine. :rolleyes:

I dropped the evangelical card a long time ago. We get excited and expect everyone else who likes something other than BMC to get excited and want to jump right in but in reality, a lot of people won't get bit by the bug. I DO, however, have a friend that wants to but his fiancee won't let him (yes yes, get in line with everyone else that says that's a sure sign he shouldn't marry her). So he's getting a homebrew kit for his wedding present. :D He's going to need it.

Thats pure evil, Nice!

The thing here is, he brought up his interest in brewing, and has actually mentioned it in the past a few times. So, I thought I'd get him started by brewing one with me. That way, if he doesn't like it, he's not out anything and we still have a good beer to drink in the end :mug:

i just helped my friend's wife buy him a brewwing set-up for christmas. we are brewing tomorrow. Does anyone know of a homebrew recipe for Moylan's Tipperary Ale?

Back