Tank's Oh S#@! Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShermanTank

Reaction score
So, I started my quintessential Sunday brew time head strong with the Northern Brewers Caribou Slobber recipe loaded on my tiny iPhone screen. I proceeded to build my grain bill, 9 pounds here, half pound there. All seemed perfect, until, the English Black Malt. I saw 1.25lbs. I'll give you a hint, it was actually .125lbs and my small screen successfully hid the decimal point. Needless to saw, I did not make a brown ale today; instead I went into full creative/panic mode and made a crazy Spiced/Vanilla/Honey porter. So, here goes:

--9-lbs.-Rahr-2-row-pale-
--.75-lbs.-Briess-Caramel-60L-
--.5-lbs.-Briess-Caramel-80L-
--.25-lbs.-Fawcett-Pale-Chocolate-
--1.25-lbs.-English-Black-Malt-

1 oz Ahnatum (60 min)
1 oz German Hallertua (10 min)

2 TBSP - Cardamom
3 TBSP - Clove
Vanilla Bean - 1

1lbs - Clover Honey (last 10)

Safale 5 (my goto yeast)

A quick taste before pitching had a mild sweetness with a, just there, spiciness. The hoppiness was very underlying with enough bitterness to off-set the honey. At the end of the day, I felt I needed to do something to save the 13lbs of grain I crushed by hand so this was what I could come up with between incessant phone calls, wining kids/wife and a all-too-quickly ticking clock.
I'll let you all know how it turns out in about 2-3 months.

Tank:rockin:

Back