need help - centennial fresh hops only 0.2 oz, supplement with something else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalltown2001

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first all-grain tonight, only trying a half batch of 2.5 gallons. It is a clone of St. Rogue Red Ale, recipe is :
4 lbs 2 row pale malt
0.5 lbs Crystal 20L
0.5 lbs Crystal 40L
0.5 lbs Crystal 80L
0.5 lbs Munich Malt
Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast.

The recipe calls for 1 oz of Chinook hops to boil for 90 minutes, and then 1 oz of Centennial hops at flame-out. I have enough of the Chinook, but I thought I would get enough from my first year Centennial hop plant. I just picked them, and I only have 1 oz of fresh hops, which is about 0.2 oz of dry hops. I know it won't affect the IBU's at all, but I'm afraid the hop aroma will be lacking. Should I add around 1 oz of some other hops? The only ones I have in stock are Willammette, Fuggles, Perle, Magnum, and Nugget. Or since it is only a 2.5 gallon batch, will the aroma not be lacking? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

either add some williamette to your centennials, or bitter with the magnum, and use the chinook/centennials at flameout. make sure to adjust the amount of bittering hops for similar IBU's based on the AA% of your magnums.

I love chinook at flameout. Their bittering properties can be a little harsh, which is sometimes preferred.

Back