Final SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jensmith

Reaction score
What is the final SG on finished dry cider? Does it go all the way down to .990 like wine or does it only go down to 1.000? My cider seams stuck at 1.000. There are two batches, one got lots of suger and the other did not get much. They are both at and holding at 1.000 for a month now.
Thanks!

I'd say commonly 0.995-1.004, but it depends on many factors like OG, yeast used, temperature, nutrients and racking schedule. If they haven't moved in a month then it's a pretty safe bet that the yeast are done.

I kinda thought they were done, but they had a high final sg. To clarify my question, is all the suger gone at 1.000 in cider? In wine a SG of 1.000 still has suger in it. Alchole being lighter then water or some such thing. I can't eat/drink cane suger so I wanted all the suger to be converted to safe alcahole. I can just drink some and see of it bothers me.... I am wondering if there are more solids left in a hard cider then a fruit wine, giving it a higher SG? Not logical I am thinking, but possible?

Your SG should come from dissolved sugars in the must. It's my understanding that fruit solids do not contribute a noticeable difference to gravity. (Unless the hydrometer is obviously floating in a HUGE amount of fruit pulp ;) ) If it's relatively clear then I'd think 1.000 is all you are going to get. Especially since you have two batches that are identical. What strain did you use?

The SG of water is 1.00. This is a solution with no sugar left.
For an SG below 1.00, it represents an increased amount of alcohol as ethyl alcohol has an SG of 0.789.

Back