Interested in mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haydn-Juby

Reaction score
So i've been brewing beer for sometime now with great success and am interested in fermenting some other new things. Mead seems interesting but I need a few key facts first.

How long , generally speaking, does the mead sit in the carboy and when is it proper time to transfer? I know I can figure this out by taking hydrometer measuring every now and again but what is a general time and when should I rack to secondary.

Also do I really need to pasteurize an unpasteurized honey? How do i go about doing so?

How much yeast nutrient do I need for a 1 gal batch and do I need anything else like Pot sorbate Etc.

Thanks so much :mug:

So i've been brewing beer for sometime now with great success and am interested in fermenting some other new things. Mead seems interesting but I need a few key facts first.

How long , generally speaking, does the mead sit in the carboy and when is it proper time to transfer? I know I can figure this out by taking hydrometer measuring every now and again but what is a general time and when should I rack to secondary.

Also do I really need to pasteurize an unpasteurized honey? How do i go about doing so?

How much yeast nutrient do I need for a 1 gal batch and do I need anything else like Pot sorbate Etc.

Thanks so much :mug:
The front page of the Gotmead forums has a left side yellow box and their "NewBee" guide is linked there.

Worth its weight as it answers most of the new mead makers questions.

You've already done beers ? So would likely get enough from it to see the differences in technique between beers and meads. Meads are more wine like in the making and more robust than beers......

You've already done beers ? So would likely get enough from it to see the differences in technique between beers and meads. Meads are more wine like in the making and more robust than beers......

I just meant that brewing beers have given me the basics of sanitation, how to use a hydrometer, that sort of generally useful fermentation stuff. Thanks for the link by the way too.

I just meant that brewing beers have given me the basics of sanitation, how to use a hydrometer, that sort of generally useful fermentation stuff. Thanks for the link by the way too.
Sure I understand that. Just that there are some things we do with meads that would be considered total heresy by most beer makers.

So your other knowledge will be beneficial.....

Look here on HBT for stickies by "hightest" regarding nutirent schedules, and other topics, very useful.

I got into meads a few seasons ago, below are some basic pointers/answers.

No need to pasteurize, or god forbid boil, honey.

Honey is lacking in some basic nutrients needed by yeast so nutrient additions are important...as is areation.

Generally the process of brewing meads is simpler than beers, but many of the basic skills you learned from brewing beer are useful. Some of the equipment too.

I did not get into meads earlier because I was under the impression they required extended aging like wines. Ive learned that is really not the case, you can brew good mead in no more time than it takes to brew good beer, but it can also benefit from extended aging.

So i've kind of necro bumped this thread but anyways...

What is generally accepted as a good aging time for a standard 12-14% mead? How long should I let it sit in the primary and how long in secondary? I'm getting very varied results as to what to do.

So i've kind of necro bumped this thread but anyways...

What is generally accepted as a good aging time for a standard 12-14% mead? How long should I let it sit in the primary and how long in secondary? I'm getting very varied results as to what to do.
Timings are much less predictable with meads. I generally leave my batches in primary until the ferment is finished but some like to rack to secondary to finish, though IMO this isn't worth while as you often lose a lot of the yeast colony and loss of the ferment momentum......

As long as sampling kit is sanitised, you can return any sample to the main ferment...... I've not had any problems with that in the last 8 or so years but some (especially those with beer experience) like to dump the sample......

As for how long with ageing ? the higher the strength the longer it needs to age.......seemingly.

There's no real guide or guess, you just have to taste and see. A lot will store in bulk (like me) and taste every few months, only bottling once its close to being "ready"

Others make sure its stable but then some is bottled into smaller bottles which are the tasting/sampling guide and drink one every so often......

I age for a minimum of 6 months with no upper limit.....

Yes, the aging range is wide, as a result I doubt you will find a consistent guideline. I suggest enjoying some young and then set some aside to age...maybe for years.

My last few batches were tasty right after ferm had effectively completed per hydro readings. A traditional mead, a few melomels, and a braggot. I left most of them, by volume, to condition while we travel (thats one way to stay out of them). We left in Feb and plan to be back in Oct so 10 months...should be a tasty treat when we return.

Back