Peach Wheat Problem (Maybe?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StretchBrew

Reaction score
Hey All,

I brewed a wheat beer this fall, racked it on to peach puree in a secondary around early November-ish (probably should have looked at my brew logs before posting this.) The point is, life got in the way of bottling this beer with the holidays and all and it has sat until this weekend without even looking at it in months. When I did look at it ... the pictures below are what I found. From the searching I did on the forums, I gather it's either pellicle or a lacto infection ... which doesn't sound too bad. I'm probably going to go ahead and bottle it tomorrow anyways unless I'm directed not to in this thread. It sounds like it might give the beer a sour taste which would go well with a peach wheat. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help!! (P.S. sorry for the crappy pics ... they're the best I was able to get)

2013-02-10 12.41.51.jpg

2013-02-10 12.42.02.jpg

Give it a taste and report back. If it's infected and you want to keep it as a sour experiment, I wouldn't bottle it yet - throw that carboy in a dark corner and forget about it for 6-12 months. Might turn out awesome.

Sounds good. I'll give it taste tonight and I'll report back. If it tastes fine, go ahead and bottle then?

That really looks like CO2 offgassing with yeast rafts on top. If you gave the carboy a swift nudge, all of that would settle and be gone in just a few hours.

If it were an infection, it would look more vein-y.

Well I did move it to take those pictures so maybe it did sink to the bottom. We'll see tonight.

Well it didn't taste bad. The stuff didn't fall after I'd moved it and let it sit so i don't know what is going on with it, but i might let it sit a little and see what happens.

Back