Turkey fryer a serious upgrade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpeanut7

Reaction score
If I were to buy a turkey fryer, would it seriously upgrade my final product? Or is it more important to focus on securing a fermentation chamber? I see you can get them for around $60 from Home Depot. I currently just use a 26 qt pot on my stovetop. I have a wort chiller, so that would be fine.

Also, is a 30qt turkey fryer good enough for a potential switch to AG?

I'd go with controlled fermentation first over the ability to do a full boil.
there is absolutely no benefit to full boil or AG if you cant control fermentation.

OK, thanks.

I think my order of purchase will be Flask for yeast starting, fridge, temp controller, turkey fryer

Just got a turkey fryer myself makes it so much easier, especially since my electric stove takes hrs to boil water. Worth the upgrade to me more convenient to not have to split my batches in half on the stoves.

as long as your using a high quality modern yeast there should be no need for specialized starter equipment, the advantage to even using a starter is considered by some marginal at best as long as your yeast is healthy. A sanitized cup full of lukewarm water or starter solution will work just as well as any fancy flask does.
The only major thing I worry about with pitching my yeast is to make sure that the wort is cooled enough (I made that mistake once and it delayed the onset of fermentation and I got all sorts of off flavors), but as you say you have a chiller that shouldn't be an issue.

Some form of fermentation temperature control is probably the place you'd see the most gain, particularly if your basement (or wherever you store your fermenter) is a few degrees outside your target temperature.

*EDIT* As for a turkey fryer or other large apparatus for doing your brews, they could potentially speed up the intital heating but they may not justify the expense. I personally just use the Propane burner on the side of my grill and that works just fine. *EDIT*

As I understand it the main draw for doing a full 5 gallon boil is that it allows you to get a brew with extraordinarily high bitterness.
As it was explained to me with regards to Alpha Acids, your boil follows basic rules of solubility, meaning you can only dissolve so much of the Alpha Acids from the hops into solution before no more will dissolve, thus with a 2.5 gallon boil, no matter how much hops you add there is a "cap" as to how much the boil will extract. By increasing the water in your pot to 3.0 gallons, or even 5 you allow more Alpha Acids to enter your brew, giving you more bitterness. That said, for most brews that level of bitterness is undesirable and a 2.5 gallon boil is sufficient for achieving the bittering called for by 99% of the recipes out there excluding a few Imperials or other specialties.

IMO dont even worry about doing AG recipes yet. By and large they add an unnecessary level of complexity. IMO a partial grain is the way to go, using a can of munton's (or other supplier) gives you a solid base of fermentables (reducing the chance of something going wrong) while you still use specialty grains to impart desired characteristics and flavors.

I take most of this from "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" by Papizan its a few hundred pages of solid advice and recipes that everyone should read.

Even if your no longer a "beginner" the book is divided into various levels of detail, the first section being for the beginner with the final sections basically requiring an Undergraduate degree in Cellular biology to fully understand :)

While this book was published some years ago, and our fellow homebrewtalkers have discovered more modern changes to the brewing formula, everyone has their opinions and they often conflict, and sometimes those conflicting opinions are each partially right but for different reasons, so take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt. :)

:mug:

It really depends on how hands on/off you want the temp control to be. For fermentation I just pull a wet t-shirt over my fermenter, set the fermenter in a shallow plastic tray, fill the tray with water and make sure the bottom edge of the shirt touches the water all the way around. That keeps my temp down low enough. Sometimes I even periodically add some ice cubes to the water tray.

I too aim to get a fancy, digital, refridgeration powered fermentation chamber to make lagers and have "set it and forget it" capabilities, but I have not had the need for that yet.

as long as your using a high quality modern yeast there should be no need for specialized starter equipment, the advantage to even using a starter is considered by some marginal at best as long as your yeast is healthy. A sanitized cup full of lukewarm water or starter solution will work just as well as any fancy flask does.
The only major thing I worry about with pitching my yeast is to make sure that the wort is cooled enough (I made that mistake once and it delayed the onset of fermentation and I got all sorts of off flavors), but as you say you have a chiller that shouldn't be an issue.

A lot of people are going to disagree with you on this one... for dry yeast generally no starter is needed, but for liquid yeast it's almost always recommended. It is true that you don't need specialized equipment, a growler or any plastic jug works fine.

Complete Joy of Homebrewing is a great friendly introduction to the hobby, but I think 30+ years later a lot of it is outdated. At least that seems to be the general consensus. I have the book, but since I purchased How to Brew it's gathering dust on my shelf.

But I'd like to agree with BuddyWeiser above that you can rig up something fairly simple for temperature control, especially if you buy a controller! Place the carboy in a box and use the controller to power a light bulb for heating. Or make a swamp cooler by placing the carboy in a tub full of water, throw a T-shirt over it, and use the the temperature controller to power a fan blowing across it. Evaporative cooling at its best! This works fine for a lot of people. Not as elegant/foolproof as a proper fermentation chamber, but it'll do.

Also, what kind of stove do you have? I can get 7 gallons boiling on my stove indoors, no problem, but I have a fairly powerful gas range.

If I were to buy a turkey fryer, would it seriously upgrade my final product? Or is it more important to focus on securing a fermentation chamber? I see you can get them for around $60 from Home Depot. I currently just use a 26 qt pot on my stovetop. I have a wort chiller, so that would be fine.

Also, is a 30qt turkey fryer good enough for a potential switch to AG?

I would go with the fermentation chamber over the turkey fryer. There are other ways to control fermentation temperature, but a dual stage temperature controller and fridge/freezer are the way to go. I can go out of town and not worry about my fermenting beer for a few days anytime of the year. IMO, it's probably the single best thing I've done to make better beers. The yeast turn the wort into beer and it's crucial to make them happy.

Also, I have a 30 quart pot from a turkey fryer kit at the moment and I'm already looking to upgrade after just a few batches. The pot works and allows me to do full boils, but I'd like a bigger pot and a ball valve would be nice. Just my two pennies.

I'd go for a controlled fermentation first, I've lucked out since I've gotten a turkey fryer for free and a stand up fridge for free.

First of I would agree with fermentation temp control and making appropriate size starters before upgrading you burner/pot setup. That said I would suggest CL for a burner, I see you live in the metro Chicago area there are 5 listed at this time. With the money you save on purchasing on CL I would suggest you purchase a decommissioned keg and make a keggle. This would give you the opportunity to move to up 10 gallon batches when you wish and ease into all grain via BIAB process.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=turkey+fryer&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/for/2964326297.html

Let me give you a slightly different answer.

Do you actually need a fermentation cabinet? I ask because where I live, my house is generally speaking in the right temperature zone. When it's cooler, I ferment in my dining room. When it's hotter, i use my basement. There's always somewhere in my house at the right temperature. For that reason I went with the turkey fryer setup. I find doing full boils outside on my deck to be far easier and less messy than partial boils in my kitchen. Your mileage might vary.

I bought a cheap freezer from lowes to use for lagers / lagering.

I bought a yeast starting get-up and barely ever use it. I also mostly use dry yeast and don't frequently brew big beers. My next upgrade will be a ferm. chamber of some kind, but I'll probably use my current kegerator for that once I upgrade.
What's your time worth? If you can boil fine now and you're happy with the time it takes to reach boil, go with the chamber. Or, look into a Son of Fermentation Chamber (cheaper) and do both! Kyle

Let me give you a slightly different answer.

Do you actually need a fermentation cabinet? I ask because where I live, my house is generally speaking in the right temperature zone. When it's cooler, I ferment in my dining room. When it's hotter, i use my basement. There's always somewhere in my house at the right temperature. For that reason I went with the turkey fryer setup. I find doing full boils outside on my deck to be far easier and less messy than partial boils in my kitchen. Your mileage might vary.

I bought a cheap freezer from lowes to use for lagers / lagering.

I envy you. My house stays about 80F with the a/c on full blast in the summer as it just can not keep up with the heat. Obviously fermenting at 80F is too high for most ales. Now, during the winter time, temperatures are perfect in my house. My solution for temperature control is a swamp cooler. Cheap and easy fix. Some day, I'll build a fermentation chamber, just not today.

I also agree fermentation control will have a better effect on your beer than a turkey fryer. The biggest reason to get a turkey fryer is if it's going to be the best way to boil your wort.

Controlled fermentation, it is by far the most important component of making beer. A converted freezer has the added benefits of allowing nice, controlled lagering, and dispensing should you elect to keg...I think the the large (10+ cu ft) chest freezers are pretty sweet since they can hold multiple items (pails, kegs, carboys, etc.)

Guys when it comes to a fermentation chamber Craigslist is your friend. I picked up a fridge for $15 (works perfect) and I spent $75 on a Johnson A419 digital controller. No wiring just plug in and adjust. This controller has heat and cool capabilities. Defenatly worth the money. With the help of CL my fermentation chamber cost me $90. Search and wait for that deal

Yes, definitely get the better temperature controller, IMO. I have a Johnson Controls single stage A19 and I wish I spent the extra money of the dual stage model. Plus, the A19 is kind of a piece of junk and the temperature dial is almost meaningless. Or if you're handy, you can do a DIY temp controller. Search the forum/Google for the STC1000, that might be my next controller.

A used CL fridge or freezer is the way to go. I prefer the fridge, but either will do. No reason to buy a brand new unit if it's just sitting the the garage or the basement. I recently bought a large chest freezer for $50 on CL and it works fine. It just needed a little cleaning and it's good to go.

Hit up CL for a fridge. Your current boil kettle is not much smaller than a turkey fryer, so the amount of upgrade is small for you.

After you get a cheap fridge on CL buy a $25 temp controller from ebay. Shop for a 110V STC-1000 unit.

THEN start looking to upgrade to a larger BK. The additional space and burner capacity will be a nice feature later, but giving your yeast a nice place to live and eat is critical IMO.

You can also improve your fermentation temp control now with a swamp cooler setup, but they are a bit of a pain compared to having a dedicated fridge setup. It just depends on how much of a hassle you are willing to put up with and how much money you want to spend.

First of I would agree with fermentation temp control and making appropriate size starters before upgrading you burner/pot setup. That said I would suggest CL for a burner, I see you live in the metro Chicago area there are 5 listed at this time. With the money you save on purchasing on CL I would suggest you purchase a decommissioned keg and make a keggle. This would give you the opportunity to move to up 10 gallon batches when you wish and ease into all grain via BIAB process.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=turkey+fryer&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/for/2964326297.html

Awesome advice, thanks! :mug:

I recently upgraded from stovetop to all grain. I picked up a large cooler converted to mash tun on CL for $35. CL rocks. You can't buy the cooler for that! Then the turkey fryer w/30 qt pot as a christmas gift. For me the all grain switch was an awesome next step. We have electric smooth top range that takes forever to heat so the turkeyfryer upgrade was awesome. That thing heats up super fast. But be warned, if you like to brew bigger beers and full boil, the 7.5 gallon pot that comes with many of the turkey fryers really makes it tight and I am already scouring CL for a larger pot.

That said, if I had an indoor temp of 80 degrees, a temp control for fermentation would have been a no brainer 1st on the wish list.

Back